1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

OK, I will bite. Who is Two-Bits Homan?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Henry Homan, a star back for the Frankford Yellow Jackets in the '20s. Led them to the franchise's only NFL title in 1926 with his heroics in late-season victories over Green Bay, Chicago and the Providence Steam Roller. Called Two-Bits because of his small size (even for the era) at 5-5, 145. Ace receiver and punt returner. While they didn't keep stats then, football historians credit Homan with career averages of 22.2 yards per catch and 13.6 yards per punt return, which would rank him second and first all-time in those categories (though I doubt he had enough receptions to qualify for the receiving average record -- I need to look that up). He is also supposedly the first NFL player to celebrate a touchdown. No, not with a spike or a dance -- he reportedly shook his teammates' hands, then shook the ref's hand before handing him the ball.

Next question... ;)

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And Layne. And Graham. And Waterfield.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're reaching now. Baugh was already well established as the game's premier passer by the time all of those guys came into the league. Throughout most of the '40s, Baugh and Luckman were considered the two dominant quarterbacks.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Career
    116-116 record; 60.3%; 362 TDs; 241 Ints.

Four Pro Bowls and top-15 all time in interceptions and sacks.

Anybody know how to copy and paste sportsreference.com and maintain the format.

6. Tamon Honda

Tamon Honda New Member

I liken Eli Manning to Jim Plunkett. Both overcame the burden of huge expectations and struggled early. Both won two Super Bowls. In the end, both impressive but not spectacular career numbers. They had some great games, but also a lot of clunkers.

I believe you have to draw the line on who gets into the Hall of Fame somewhere. I feel like both Manning and Plunkett are a tiny bit short.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Even when you account for the eras in which they played, Manning's numbers are significantly better than Plunkett's.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

He doesn't belong.

But Eli has been a good citizen, his numbers are pretty good, he's part of football royalty, he won the two Super Bowls vs. the Pats (including an MVP in the first one), and he plays in the New York market.

The last one counting the most in that highly politicized meeting on Saturday of Super Bowl weekend.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The only time I’ve ever thought that Eli was a potential HOF’er was after the 2011 SB, but never during a regular season. Two great playoff runs doesn’t make a HOF’er to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted