1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning, Giants sued for selling fake collectibles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lawsuit alleges that Eli Manning and the Giants passed off fake items -- including several from their Super Bowl wins -- as game-worn. The allegations include a team dry cleaner damaging fresh jerseys to make them appear used, and Manning himself asking for an old helmet that he then signed and passed off as game-worn so he could hang on to his own stuff.

The guy suing, Eric Inselberg, was indicted in 2011 for selling fake memorablila. The charges were dropped because of new evidence that came to light, most likely that the Giants were pulling this stuff. Inselberg lost millions, which is what he's suing to recover.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/30/eli-and-giants-created-fake-memorabilia-suit/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's amazing how much fake shit is out there... I remember there was a special, Real Sports maybe? when they showed a quarterback five copies of his signature, and asked him which were his and which were not. I think he said all were his and as it turns out, all were fake.

I know it's not uncommon for players to change shoes, socks or whatever during games so they can have more "game worn" stuff to sell, especially if a record is about to be broken.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Aren't there like a half-dozen bats floating around out there that are alleged to have been the one and only that Pete Rose used when he hit 4192? At least that's what I've heard.

I'd guess this sort of thing is way more prevalent than most people realize. The memorabilia industry is just perfect for all sorts of fraud.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sammy Sosa gave the bat he used to hit his 66th HR to Rudy Giuliani. (They had a parade in NY to honor him.) He also gave it to the Hall of Fame.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Very true. I remember Emmitt Smith changing jerseys every quarter during the game he broke Walter Payton's career rushing record. And then there's the whole process MLB uses of switching out baseballs for potential record breakers.
    This lawsuit, though, seems like it could blow up a good chunk of the collectibles industry. If true, it's the team, and not shyster dealers, making false claims of authenticity.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I once shot an ESPN story about the FBI agent who set up a very elaborate fake merchandise front in San Diego, had a huge warehouse full of fakes, and nabbed dozens of crooks. I've always wondered why that guy's story hasn't been turned into a movie yet.

Edit: More on Operation Bullpen

http://www.fbi.gov/sandiego/about-us/history/operation-bullpen

Draft saved Draft deleted