1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elena Kagan nominated to replace Stevens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Re: Can we talk about John Paul Stevens?

I'll never forget what Justice Ginsburg said the day she was sworn into the same court as O'Connor. She said we've reached a time when "women no longer need to be one-at-a-time performers."

It's one of my favorite quotes of all time.

Now women really don't need to be two-at-a-time, three-at-a-time, or any-at-a-time-performers. It's an amazing world.

I've been reading about Kagan all day... fascinating stuff.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll feel a lot better about our progress when the offering up of, lets say, Barney Frank as a nominee wouldnt be an impossibility

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll try to filibuster. They'll look to score some points. To make the nominee appear to be outside of the political/judicial mainstream and by extension Obama and the consenting Senators will be made to appear out of the political mainstream for appointing/supporting him/her.

What's fascinating about her? Not being snarky, just being curious.

Do you actually mean Barney Frank, or do you just mean a liberal, gay man?

If you do mean Barney, what about him makes you think he'd be a good Justice?

4. Lugnuts

Well, she's being called "NOT an ideologue, NOT an ideologue" over and over by some of her conservative-leaning colleagues, who clearly want her nominated.

I've read in two different places that she's much more conservative than Stevens and that the court would shift decidedly RIGHT if she were to take the bench.

That puts the GOP in a precarious position. They already solidly approved her for her current job 61-31.

To filibuster or not to filibuster. Tough one. Really interesting.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was clear that I meant an openly gay person.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I purposely stayed away from this one most of today, hoping when I did check in I'd find a civil discussion of a significant news event and not the usual crap. And, except for a bit of a dustup at the beginning, I did find a civil discussion.

Please keep it up so maybe we can have another when someoe is nominated.

Do not take this as a sign that random political threads are OK. They are not. This was a news event with political overtones. Thus far, we've handled it quite well.

Again, please keep it up. If someone comes on and plays asshole, DO NOT REACT. DO NOT QUOTE THE POST (makes it very hard to clean up). Just move past it and let us clean it up. One person pissing does not create a pissing match.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Supreme Court has a don't ask don't tell policy.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Just saw a photo of Elena Kagen on Huffingtonpost. Ya know, I'm sure she's a fine, distinguished jurist, but ... remember that '70s child actor, Mason Reese?

Edit: And in the spirit of balanced political discourse, I'll note that Rachel Maddow has always reminded me of Fred Savage.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fred today lives in Kansas. [/crossthread]

10. Lugnuts

Well, dools, it seems that very discussion is going on all over the internet right now with regard to Kagan.

This could get reallllly interesting.

ETA: Moddy, you're okay, fella! :-*

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was also Tom Brokaw, not Ted Koppel. And it was the (short-lived) Dana Carvey Show, not SNL.

But other than that, you were right on, Waylon. ;)

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dooley - why do you feel there is a need for openly gay judge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.