1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elena Kagan nominated to replace Stevens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: Can we talk about John Paul Stevens?

You'd be surprised how often I agree with the right . . . gun control, for openers.

I'm against operators on both sides who clearly have agendas and are slavish in their devotion to them when handpicking judges. I don't like Roberts, but
    respect him. Fat Tony's in bed with the worst of the creeps, and is as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wholly understood. Was referring to Yankee's post.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He was actually eaten by wolves, and he was delicious.

Taft was also eaten by wolves. Yes, really. Taft.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with you -- or really with what you said.

I just think if we leave some of the harsher terms out of our posts, there's a better chance of this thread lasting.

The process is going to last several months. It would be great if this thread lasted as long.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The qualifications or lack thereof of the eventual nominee are irrelevant. The opposition will utterly and unconditionally stonewall the process as long as even remotely possible. Ultimate victory would be to sandbag and obstruct any nominee until the next president takes office (yes, even if that means 7 years from now).

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Newt Gingrich gave a speech last night telling the GOP it needs to become the "Party of Yes."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2010/04/gingrich-aims-to-set-2010-course-for-gop-urges-republicans-to-be-party-of-yes.html

Now he will undoubtedly be forced to encourage a stonewall of the nominee.

Newt's timing is, as always, impeccable.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, rulings that follow accepted case law (the right to an abortion was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States, no?) should always be a deal-breaker.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

I seem to remember Stevens promoted as a "centrist" at the time of his nomination.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

An oddity: Depending on who Obama appoints, the Supreme Court, for the first time in its history, might be without a Protestant.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There was a time when sensible centrists in both parties weren't constantly drowned out by noise-makers on the two extremes.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

In that speech, ol' Newt also seems to be advocating a return to the "shut-down-the government" tantrum of the Clinton era.

How'd that work out for ya again, Newt?

These guys aren't going to say "yes" to anything Obama proposes. That's probably going to lead to a moderate nominee that can attract at least one Republican vote to break a filibuster.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's going to be a neat trick for the GOP to try to gin up 41 votes, unless Obama nominates a hard, hard lefty. The GOP has Snowe and Collins to offset Droopy Dog on the Dem side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.