1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elena Kagan nominated to replace Stevens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Re: Can we talk about John Paul Stevens?

Let the heaping of scorn commence.

Or you know, the item in question was false. And like any credible news organization, it retracted an incorrect item.

Man, all the hysterics are, well, hysterical now.

The ones that are factually incorrect? Just a guess.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

It's pretty obvious that the right to debate and discuss exists only with gays and/or liberals who support gay rights. Anyone else dare discuss it and it's hate speech. It's our new freedom of speech, you know.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're such a victim.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would you feel better if we give you the right to mock gays who support gay rights?

5. Re: Can we talk about John Paul Stevens?

I heard a good point made today, comparing the Elena Kagan gay rumors to the Trig-is-Briston-Palin's-baby rumors in the summer of 2008. At the time, and now in some quarters, the mainstream media's pursuit of the story - I don't think anyone actually went with it, other than in context in stories about the scramble to find out who Palin is - was used as Exhibit A of the Martyrdom of Sarah Palin by the mainstream media. They'd NEVER do this to a liberal woman. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, never.

But now they have.

And both times, the rumors at least needed to be checked out by the mainstream media, if only for the sake of debunking them.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are you George Rekers' defamation attorney?

7. printdust

printdust New Member

I thought you wanted a cultural discussion, Azrael. You said so on another post.

;D

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why is the Times discussing the sexuality of the White House pastry chef.

It's unseemly, and really, who cares?

Do they usually include this kind of information in a profile?

9. Re: Can we talk about John Paul Stevens?

It's all just white noise grandstanding. Of course a public official's personal life is up for discussion. This isn't new. Read David Maraniss's book about Bill Clinton. Lots about his relationships with women. Read Carl Bernstein's book about Hillary Clinton. Lots about her relationships with men. And debunking of the lesbian innuendos.

You know it. I know it. I think everyone, if they were to be intellectually honest about it, would concede that they know it, as well.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Stop PMing me.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maybe if the subject is ok with its inclusion?

12. Re: Can we talk about John Paul Stevens?

Obama and his henchmen aren't helping things by making her completely unavailable to the media. Gibbs told everyone, with a straight face, that there was an interview with her available on the White House web site. Conducted by an administration staffer. As if that was perfectly satisfactory.

The administration of transparency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.