1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elements of a perfect burger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 1, 2009.

1. JR

JR Active Member

We've had dozens of threads on the best burger joints but here's a great article on the art of making the perfect burger at home.

The starting point is the beef.

Don't buy that crappy prepackaged ground beef you find in supermarkets and if you do, never buy the lean stuff.

I like the idea of buying brisket which has about a 70 to 30 meat to fat ratio and having your butcher ground it for you.

Other great tips include:

Don't overhandle the patty.

Cook it like a steak (if you're not grilling it). Get a cast iron pan smoking hot, sear the burger on both sides to get the proper crust and finish it off in a 375 oven.

A perfect burger is like a roast chicken. It seems easy but there are all sorts of ways you can fuck it up.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey, I posted this first: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54639/

But it was buried on page 11, so it's cool.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

A lesson we all wish we'd learned sooner.
  4. [​IMG]

Get your fucking hands off me, sir.
  5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's a strong debut.
  6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not many hit one out of the park in the first at-bat.
  7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the key. I mean, I will use supermarket meat for convenience sake sometimes, but if we're being serious about it, I go to a butcher shop. Some years ago we had a large cookout and a friend who fancies himself as a gourmet (and may be) bit into the burger and said quiety, "This meat is not from the grocery store, is it?" He could tell. I always get ground chuck.

I have never tried the skillet/oven method because I always use the grill on the patio. I have grilled in snowstorms.

Using a quality cheese helps.

Lately, after trying it at Five Guys Burgers and Fries, I have been using fresh jalapeno on the burgers I make at home.
  8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Ditto on the bun. Do not skimp on a crappy, way-too-small hunk of bread. I prefer a kaiser bun, myself.
  9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Some call it a sling bun, I call it a kaiser bun. Uh-huh.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's a couple of pretty good lines on the first page. *tips cap*
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My musts are kosher half-sour pickles, extra sharp cheddar and spicy mustard. I also don't want a very big burger or a very big bun.

Before we started dieting, Mrs. W used to make this shallot butter to place in the meat which was great. I'd also put a little bit of pancetta on top of the burger.
Draft saved Draft deleted