1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Electronic clips for job applications

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goldy220, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

You don't need InDesign or a Mac to open a PDF -- just Adobe Acrobat, which every computer should have. That's why I said use InDesign to make your file and EXPORT it as a PDF.

I don't disagree with MU's point, but I really think a PDF should be just as common of a file as a .DOC. Maybe I'm wrong ...

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

PDF's should be common. If a paper can't open PDF's, then it's behind the times. The real question with PDF's is size. My PDF files are 4x the size of the same text in a word .doc. Some systems just can't handle a meg or more coming in.

3. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

If, in InDesign, you export them as the smallest size, there's really no quality lost and my files are about 100K each. Though, then again, mine are just my story alone -- not sure if you guys are taking the whole page, with other stories on there and all. I was lucky enough to be able to get my hands on the original files so I could cut the other junk out.

Either way, if you REALLY want the job, send hard copies in addition to the e-mail. It can never hurt ...

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No kidding, dude. And my question was not about opening them, it was MAKING them WITHOUT the aid of a Mac or InDesign.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Try PDFCreator at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

I haven't used it myself, but it's free.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For those who want all of their clips in one PDF, it's easy on a Mac. Use preview and the sidebar. Drag pdf's from one sidebar to the other in the big document. And just drag and drop in the big pdf sidebar to arrange everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted