1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Electronic clips for job applications

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goldy220, Mar 2, 2008.

1. goldy220

goldy220 New Member

Hi guys, this is my first post here, but I've been browsing around here for a few months now.

I'm a college Senior and am getting ready to get my first non-intern newspaper job. I've prepared my resume and I've finally caught up with my clips. I was taught to put them on 11x17 then reduce it to 8.5x11. Recently, I've noticed a lot of jobs online request to send the resume and writing samples through email.

What's the best way to do this? I don't work at the paper anymore, so copy pasting the text from the archives isn't really feasible. I was just going to scan the 8.5x11's into PDF files...does that seem alright?

Thanks

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I know I've said this numerous times on here, but I'll repeat again since it's always worked for me.
    Since about my junior year of college, the only way I've submitted clips is this:
    Cut the story into a standard word file. Make sure any text -- from headline to subhead to byline to story -- is included (I generally make the headline a few point sizes larger.
    No, it does not show the placement of the story on its original page, but it is essentially impossible for any person you're emailing clips to to have compatibility problems.
    It also makes it easier when you're including any possible notes on the story in question.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So do you use a separate file for each clip?

As for myself, I just exported the clips to PDF from the Web site's archive and saved them in a folder. My packet comes in around 800 kb.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

Yeah, separate file for each clip. When I was still applying for jobs fairly regularly, I would keep clips in a separate file on my computer, and I could attach them (along w/ my resume) and shoot it out. I can email a clip package to a potential employer in about 2 minutes.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What's the best way for creating PDFs? I've finally caught up with a bit of this technology nonsense and still am having trouble doing this myself.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

So lets say your sending out four clips you should attach 5 word files? 4 for each story and another one for your resume?

Also in regards to a title on each file should it be

game preview.doc
    game story.doc
    feature.doc
    profile.doc
    nameresume.doc

or can you just add a few stories to one file and call it Sportsclips.doc?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you have a Mac, it's pretty easy. Select print from the file menu and there is a button the the box that pops up in the lower left corner labeled PDF. Just choose Save as PDF.

8. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Use InDesign and export it as a PDF.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

I've done it both ways, although I generally just sent (using your example) five documents. Generally, in the body of the email, I would just make it clear what I was sending as attachments. It usually worked out just fine; certainly never had any complaints.
    As far as the naming, I just went with something I knew I would remember just by the name itself. If the story was about Bob Johnson, it would usually be something like Johnson0604, the numbers corresponding to its run date.

10. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

I hesitated to share this -- feel like I'm ceding some sort of competitive advantage. But convert all your clips to PDFs, (save under whatever name you want) then export your cover letter and resume to PDF (under whatever name you want). Use PDF Sam (Google it) to merge all your PDFs into one file and save to a PDF as your name.
    Attach and send.
    Voila.
    Everything in one neat package for a potential employer to scroll through or print out.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

And for those whose papers don't use InDesign or Macs?

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

That's sort of why I use a straight word filing system. If a place you're applying to doesn't have some version of a word-based system, you might not want to work there anyway. They have bigger problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted