1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

electric razor - 2013

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Who uses an electric razor, what kind, and how/why do you like it? I'm thinking about purchasing one. I am tired of paying the price for blades. It actually looks like you can get a decent electric razor for about the price of two packs of blades. I really don't care if an electric shaves "as close as a blade" as long as it does its job in the morning. If I need a long-lasting close shave, I can always keep blades on hand for just such an occasion.

The last time I used an electric razor was more than 20 years ago. I don't recall how well it shaved. I just didn't like that it burned my face. I'm sure it was a pretty inexpensive job with three round things on it. How does that compare to newer styles in terms of face rub/burn?

Also, are there any inexpensive disposables out there anyone uses? I'd even go that route. The blades I use are up near $40 a package now, and that's nuts.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Bumping because I have the same questions.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I use a mid-priced Norelco (was probably about $60 when i got it as a gift 18 months ago) and it does just fine.

I do not have a heavy beard, so a morning shave stays close through the day and doesn't look grungy even if I skip a day.

I will use blades Monday if I don't shave at all over the weekend, as it is a closer and stays clean longer.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not electric but:
    Six bucks for 8 razors and gets the job done: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schick-Speed3-Triple-Blade-Pivoting-Disposable-Razors-8ct/20713693

Paying $40 for a pack of blades is insane.

6. CNY

CNY Member

I have a Braun that I got almost 10 years ago as a gift, and it's still going strong. It says to change the blade every 18 months, but I find that I need to replace it at least once a year. Costs about $35 for a new blade and foil.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Following the advice of SJ, I purchased these yesterday at Target.

Fantastic suggestion. Best shave I've had with cheap razors since...well, forever.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I started with a three head Norelco back around 1982. Ok, but new blades then were $45. I've been mostly a Trac II man all my life, with a brief Braun diversion in 1995. I have never felt an electric razor to be superior, although I would love to learn of something better.

I bought about 250 Trac II heads for about $2 per eleven over fifteen years ago, and I still have 100 left.

I expect to die without ever finding out what the superior shave is. I suspect more than two blades to be a key though.

3? 4? 5? How many blades are best? Argghhh!!!!!

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

I find it incredibly ironic a guy with John Wayne for an av is contemplating using an electric razor.

The day I'll use an electric razor is the day I die.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Hey, I haven't bought one! I actually have a straight razor and tried to shave with it a time or two but to no avail. Just because I have the Duke as an av doesn't mean I'm still not a cheap bastard. From what I've read here, an electric doesn't save much money in the long run if you have to replace the head every year. I guess I'm just hosed.

11. I have a mid-range Norelco. It works well, except for a thicker five o'clock shadow. It's one of those that you can rinse out with water. One thing that helps is changing the combs and heads every year, and cleaning the combs and blades with alcohol or whatever cleaner Norelco sells. You are also supposed to put a drop of mineral oil on the combs every month.

Edit: I also have a Dorco razor that's only about $5.75 for a pack of four razors (six blades).

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've been rocking the (carefully trimmed) beard nonstop since 2004. I use the cheapest thing I can find for the shave-y parts.

Has anyone tried Dollar Shave Club?

Draft saved Draft deleted