1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Electric lawnmower

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ostentatious, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

The wife and I are in Home Depot today looking at random lawnmowers and we come across an electric type from a company called Homelite.

Anyone ever own an electric lawnmower before? Pros and cons to electric- vs. gas-powered? Anyone ever hear of this brand name and give it a thumbs up or down?

My questions centered around how long the mower's battery lasted and how it cut in thicker grass compared to gas-powered mowers. Neither were answered, but other than that, it kind of looks like, for smaller yards anyway, electric mowers might be interesting to try out.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Years ago, my buddy's parents had a Black and Decker and it worked fine -- as long as you didn't run over the cord. You'd push a release button and the handle would move from one side to the other so you could always keep the cord on the same side.
    Yeah, it was a smaller yard so it worked well.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.homelite.com/

Known mainly for good chain saws.

I have a Homelite rechargeable lawnmower. Quieter than a vacuum cleaner. Love it.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How small is your yard?

If it's not too big, why not try a push mower?

Otherwise a rechargeable lawnmower

Gas mowers are noisy as hell and huge polluters.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I inherited an electric mower that used a cord from my grandfather in the mid-70s that must have been 30 years old when I got it. It was from Sears. I planned on using it as a stopgap but I kept that sucker for probably 20 years. They work fine as long as you don't have a lot of trees or shrubs to navigate around.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One hour of a gas mower is equal, pollution-wise, to one hour of 11 cars running. (I think that's right.)

Get an old-fashioned reel mower. Keep the blades sharp. As a bonus, you'll get a great workout.

7. ostentatious

ostentatious Member

I don't really know how to describe it other than it is fairly average-sized for the area. It isn't huge, but then again, a medium-sized yard in North Dakota is probably different from a medium-sized yard in New York (or wherever). Two smaller trees in the back yard. Some shrubs and stuff in the front...nothing too major.

The back is fenced in and as wide as the house plus about five feet...I'm guessing here but maybe 15-20 yards wide. Then it is maybe 25-30 yards long to the back end. Maybe not quite that big, and maybe more square than rectangular...we moved into the house over the winter and with the snow melting over the last two weeks I'm pretty much getting my first look at the yard.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Electric mowers are better for the environment and much quieter.

Went from using gas for the past 8 years to an electric when I moved last year. No worries about starting (pull start with gas) and the electric cord is not that big a deal when you get used to it (I've run over the cord once).

Lighter too.

Draft saved Draft deleted