1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Time in Canada. Conservative government loses vote of non-confidence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Mar 25, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ok, but let's not forget that the Bloc's existence is a result of the failure of the Meech Lake Accord.

Remember it was Lucien Bouchard, Mulroney's Minister of the Environment who bailed on the PC's and took a bunch of Quebec Conservative members (and a couple of Liberals) with him to start the party.

I don't have any facts but I suspect most Quebecers support the Bloc because they represent their interests in Ottawa rather than any goal of separatism

The fact still remains that the Harper government was the first in history to be held in contempt of Parliament.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

In fact, if not necessarily in theory.

[​IMG]

In fairness to Trudeau, he was full of contempt for everybody, not just Parliament. ;D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Usual response.

Let's recap: he overhauled the justice system, stared down the FLQ in the Quebec Crisis, repatriated the Constitution and defeated the PQ in the referendum.

What's Harper got?

I'll agree that PET didn't suffer fools gladly, was arrogant, didn't have much time for MP's who weren't his intellectual equal (most of them) but I'll still submit he was and is the greatest PM since Pearson

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Will the Green Party pick up a seat? Elizabeth May doesn't get into the leaders' debates, does she?

My prediction is a minority Conservative goverment, smaller caucus than last time around, with the Liberals picking up seats, the Bloc staying close to the same and the NDP losing about 10 seats.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't take long for the Liberal incumbent in my riding to get his lawn signs up, saw a couple on my way in to work this morning.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I guess when you work in a parliamentary system where an election can come at any time, lawn signs are ordered and stored on a regular basis like other office supplies rather than being a special order.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I wonder if "voter fatigue" will set in and the PCs will get a majority to avoid going through this mess again in a couple of years.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

She did last time, after a fuss was raised when the other leaders tried to keep her out.

With conditions being what they usually are, with people sure to vote strategically in order to try to prevent Conservative riding wins, I don't know how the Greens make a breakthrough. Especially when May, who is or seems to be a capable leader, is going to focus her campaign on the riding where she hopes to prevail. It's a huge dilemma - how do you win your riding as a non-incumbent when your attention is on the national picture rather than on local issues, but how do you register nationally when you can't even win a seat in the House of Commons?

To me it's absolutely ridiculous that a party can get just shy of a million votes and fail to win a seat, while another party gets a little more than a million but, because those million-plus votes were all in the same province, it translates to 49 seats and national credibility for its leader. No fucking way should Gilles Duceppe be shoved in our faces while Elizabeth May is shunted to the sidelines.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Green Party had an MP last time around.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

So Peter Mansbridge, Allan Gregg and Chantal Hebert are going to be making a lot of appearances on Satellite Hotstove, it appears.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Trudeau was an idiot and a cuckold.

Official multicultarilism - fail.
    Invoking the War Measures Act - fail.
    NEP - fail.
    Smarmy Douche - success.

It is a shame that he reproduced because there are still losers who wait around for number 1 son to "galvanize the party" and re-launch Trudeaumania. At least bern Mulroney seems to recognize that himself as a lightweigh, wish Justin would do the same (or take up snowboarding).

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Trudeau sure impressed Albertans.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted