1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Time in Canada. Conservative government loses vote of non-confidence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Mar 25, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Italy knows how to pick leaders, though.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elliotte nailed it pretty well. What the hell are we doing having an election during the playoffs?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you pick one every year, you get pretty good at it.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are Canadians tired of the whole Jack Layton running for PM spiel? He has to know he doesn't have much of a shot being even the third party in the next parliament.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Andrew Coyne who may be the best political analyst in the country pretty much nails the issue of a coalition government.

I've always been a bit ambivalent about Coyne. Some of his stuff seems to come from the David Frum school but the more I read him the more I think he's a rare breed: a consistently grounded columnist with no axe to grind.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/03/26/harpers-hypocrisy-problem/

Based on this, the Liberals have no interest in pursuing a coalition, although, as they say, there's nothing wrong with that even though Harper doesn't realise it

Here's Iggy's statement:

If, as Leader of the Liberal Party, I am given the privilege of forming the government, these are the rules that will guide me:

… We will not enter a coalition with other federalist parties. In our system, coalitions are a legitimate constitutional option. However, I believe that issue-by-issue collaboration with other parties is the best way for minority Parliaments to function.

We categorically rule out a coalition or formal arrangement with the Bloc Quebecois…

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

We don't?

The (unofficial) campaign began the day after the 2008 election. Some riding associations have had candidates in place for two years.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The NDP has always been a gadfly party.

David Lewis, the leader in the early 70's managed to hold the balance of power after the Liberals won a minority government in '72 but he is still best remembered for his classic campaign slogan "Corporate Welfare Bums" regarding tax concessions to corporations.

Still works.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I understand that. I'm talking about the actual race.

So, who ya got here?

I'm betting on another CPC minority.

A burger hangs in the balance. :)

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

WFFW.

And that was probably the first hockey game Layton had ever seen, if he was in fact even watching it. Asshat.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll take a Conservative majority. Will I finally win a bet against you? To me that's the bigger drama than anything that'll happen on the election trail. :D

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think he realizes it. I think he's just counting on Canadians - and federalist Quebecers - being turned off by even the suspicion, let alone the thought, that a coalition might include the BQ.

As for me, I'm cynical enough to believe that most if not all of the BQ members don't actually want to separate. They're far more interested in continuing to reap the many, many benefits of being successful federal politicians (read: $$$) while disingenuously pandering to those in Quebec who still actually hold separatist illusions.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And we haven't even talked about the playoffs. :)

I'm putting my money (well, eventually, not now) on the Canucks

Draft saved Draft deleted