1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Time in Canada. Conservative government loses vote of non-confidence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Quebec would make it maybe eight years as an independent before they applied for U.S. statehood. Then we'd have to accept Alberta to balance them out. Fuck that shit.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Losing a "vote of non-confidence," when read literally, seems like it would be a good thing.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Another election? During the playoffs? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I hopevthe ground opens up and swallows all of them

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Having a minority government in a parliamentary system strikes me as the best possible small c conservative situation for voters. That is, you have people in place to run the government, but they can't get away with anything too different that'd unite their opposition and cause the government to fall. So unless Canadians are really unhappy, why change it?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I for one am awaiting Boom's take on the situation.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Election day is May 2.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/03/26/cv-election-writ.html

Four elections in seven years. Ridiculous.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Ignatieff rules out a coalition with the NDP and the Bloc. I can't blame Ignatieff for shutting the issue down, because he had to either commit to one now or call it off.

A good number of right-leaning Liberals wouldn't stomach a coalition.

I still think Harper will come up about a dozen seats shorts of a majority. The only other factor is how much will the NDP be hurt. They're much like the Lib Dems in the U.K. were no one takes them seriously. Except now that the Lib Dems are in the coalition and Nick Clegg is deputy PM, they are hated on the left as well.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What was the point of an opposition party causing the downfall of a minority government if it continues to insist on a splintered opposition to said minority? Isn't that more likely to cause voters to decide to make the minority a majority just to end the anomaly?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Conservatives need to hold Quebec, narrow in on Toronto, and pick up a few more seats in the Maritimes.

Who knows if Quebec City voters will punish the Conservatives for not supporting federal funding for a new arena. If that happens, the rest of Canada should just say goodbye. How can you have a province that doesn't support the Constitution?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Alberta wouldn't want you, so you'll be ok

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ridiculous waste of tax payers money once again. Curious as to why you think Harper would resign? And Quebec can go fuck themselves, good on Harper for not giving them any public funding for their arena, that opens a can of worms no government should get into.

12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Harper deserves, and will win, a majority. I don't mind the PM injecting some Conservative ideals into this country which will require needed amendments to our Charter of Freedoms and Rights to better reflect the large established Conservative block of voters.

Two changes that should happen with a majority (among a longer list):

-disallow any separatist party from holding seats in a Federal Parliament
    -strip some rights from prisoners (voting privileges, etc.)

So what if Harper isn't the most charismatic guy in Canadian politics, his government is doing at least as good a job as any other in the developed world. The alternatives are worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted