1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Night Pizza

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

You should be more than ready for the toilet also. :-X

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

We're having BBQ.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

OK, how many chances does a person around here get to make a reference to the First Triumvirate? I demand props.

4. I see now why I was so far from agreeing with you throughout this thread, pallister.
    At my shop, there is no sports desk. The writers are the desk, all five of us. (I guess that brings up a completely different classic sj whine, doesn't it? "Wouldn't it be great if I got to be just a sports reporter and didn't have desk responsibilities all week, too?")
    Ergo, I've no sympathy whatsoever for my comrades on this night. And I'll eat their pepperoni pie, too, and feel just fine with it.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Full-time news copy editor who plays makebelieve freelance sportswriter in his free time.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So what about those nights in sports that aren't like Election Night? /ducking

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

HELLO FROM THE NEWS SIDE!
    [​IMG]

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Having to write and work the desk! My God, I could never imagine having done that. I also couldn't imagine editing and designing pages in the same night. What kind of sweatshop do you work in?

9. I'm not complaining, smart-ass. I'm just pointing out it's something we have to deal with 365 that the news reporters never.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never?

In 2004, I was on the desk til 3:30.

In 2000, the desk people were working all night.

Look, I'm a sports guy at heart. With the exception of most football, golf and auto racing, yeah, sports guys deal with the deadline game more than most news reporters. There are plenty of times, though, when news also is up against the press-room clock --- and it's not always on the most obvious occasions, either.

11. Oh, for crying out loud.
    I'm talking about having to be a reporter and page designer and copy editor all at once while on deadline. In my humble little office, the news reporters have their beats and that's it. They never have to deal with the desk duties we do.
    Cripes. Anyone else want to nitpick and/or misinterpret my post?

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sounds like your newspaper must suck, wi.

This sort of smacks of the same bullshit I heard at a CNHI paper: They wanted the news pages done early when possible so they wouldn't be in the way of sports, but then they wanted to slam those of us on the news side because we were done early in the evening.

Um, jackasses, that was the whole point. Had we been blowing deadline out of the water on game nights, everyone would have been blowing their stacks.

And I've worked sports, and every night is not election night. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted