1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Night Pizza

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sausage, green peppers and onions are the way to go with pizza.
    That's the greatest triumvirate since Crassus, Pompey and Caesar.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry, dude. I've done both and it's no contest. Sports writers work harder. Period, end of sentence. Metro has two election nights (primary and general) every two years. Maybe your stray hostage situation. Mostly, it's covering meetings and checking the police blotter.

Sports, on the other hand: Bowl weeks. Prep nights. College football nights. NFL Sundays. The week of a PGA Tour event in your town. Super Bowl weekend. The week you get an NCAA basketball regional in your town. A half-dozen special sections.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

My experience with writers is that sports does put more time and effort into their beats, but, again, I'm talking about news desk vs. sports desk. They both get lots of work piled on them more often than not. They're both overworked and underappreciated, and they both assume the other side has it easier.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I agree with news desk working just as hard. Here's the difference:

News stories are almost always filed and edited *hours* before sports stories are in, most nights. Big difference when you're dealing with a lot of raw copy coming in after 10 p.m. and you've got to get all your pages out at 11.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Do you work in my shop? :D

6. pallister

pallister Guest

That's supposed to be the case in news, Buckdub, but it usually doesn't happen that way. As a news desk supervisor, I just want to shoot down the idea that somehow the news desk doesn't put in as much time as the sports desk. I see the same effort (and also the occasional lack of effort) in news as I did when I was working sports.

But it also comes down to the individual. I'm almost always the last person in the office at the end of the night, whether I'm working news or sports.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Actually, that phrase might be the best comeback of all ... used correctly.

You see one of these newsies who wouldn't be caught dead working outside 9 to 5, saying something like that on election night. So you just look at him and say, "...do you work in my shop?"

They'll get the idea.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, Emily, that's election night, not erection night. Election.

Oh ... That's very different ... Never mind.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I have the pleasure of designing our nation/world front tomorrow. Looks like I'll have a late night.

As far as pizza, we've already had our first two waves (one when the reporters left, one when the desk came in). We'll get wave 3 as midnight approaches.

And the folks who got to leave early today were the ones who ate up most of the first two pizza orders. Scavenges, all of them.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

After those three Pizza Hut pepporoni pizzas, I'm ready for the election.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I have a question.
    A couple posters have talked about having to lay out news pages tonight, does this mean you work in news or because of the election coverage you are helping out with news?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm laying out A1 tonight. I'm a news copy editor who still has a small role on the sports side.

Draft saved Draft deleted