1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Night Pizza

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Nov 7, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Hondo,

I've worked hundreds of football Friday nights, as a writer, designer and editor. Only one of us is talking about things we do not understand.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Pal...I worked local news and metro for the first seven years of my journalism career, and frequently get loaned to metro during staffing crunches. So I know whereof I speak and you could try knowing what you talk about before you spout off and run your yap.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm definitely with Hondo on this one... We had a writer on news side who complained that she had written 150 stories last year, which was the most by anybody in that department.

We did a library check in sports and we had six staffers who had written more than 400 stories in the previous year. Every sports writer on staff had more than 150 except two, one who is over 70 years old and one who spent several months working on a project.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think pallister was speaking of news deskers, who do work late into the night ... at least at my shop.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Are you kidding? She was complaining about writing 150 stories? I wrote 150 stories in three or four months at my last stop.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Zeke, you made my face wanna grin (actually, I laughed pretty hard).

Very. Well. Played.

7. old_tony

How easy life would be if I only had to write 150 stories in a year.

I've been at my current place for over 22 years now and am entitled to five weeks vacation plus comp time that should be equal to another four weeks at least. Didn't even get close to getting to use the five weeks vacation. But at least we're allowed to carry one week over to the next year. Of course, that just means I'll get screwed out of that extra week next year.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Slogans....

for Sports: "Every night is election night."

for Metro: "What's a replate?"

for Features: "30 hours a week and proud of it."

9. old_tony

Note correction

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I was talking about the news desk, which works just as hard and just as late as the sports desk. Again, I've worked both. You've got slack picker-uppers and those whose slack needs to be picked up on each.

This idea that "the other guys" never do any work is prevalent in every newsroom, and certainly there are people who are allergic to hard work. But let's recognize the people in news and sports who work their asses off instead of focusing on the occasional moron who gives us all a bad name.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has anybody ever seen someone from features in the office on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I think we've found some common ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted