1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ELECTION DAY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thanks to Trooper for the note on the Glenn Beck thread.

It had morphed into an all purpose political/electoral thread anyway, so this is its natural successor.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's not going to be good enough.

3. YankeeFan

Probably the oddest race in the country.

What's the deal with the Republican candidate? Did he just completely lie about his resume?

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I thought you moved to France.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think of a couple of things heading into this election day:

--If Obama had kept his promise to largely get us out of the wars we're in, would that have changed the outcome of today's election? I know that failure dampened some enthusiasm I had for him.
    --The fact that the health care passage is being used effectively against Democrats in many races indicates something troubling about the electorate. I mean, in 2008, Obama blared from the mountain that health care reform was one of his very top priorities. Was no secret. The backlash indicates to me that people really don't listen to what candidates say, or that we're so cynical that we don't care what candidates say and we think government will never be good. It wasn't that long ago that government was seen as a positive force. I mean, it has to be the greatest selling job of the century to make people hate Obama for trying to ensure that people don't get financially wrecked by a catastrophic illness or don't get jerked around by insurance companies

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lied about a bunch of things. How he worked "undercover" on a gambling sting in Kansas 25 years ago. How he said he was a "successful businessman" and actually filed for bankruptcy. How he had big fines for not reporting campaign contributions. His fall from winning the nomination in mid-August was swift, and Tancredo's entry into the race played a lot into that. Had Tancredo not gotten into the race, this would have ended up 70-30 for the Looper. Now, it's about 45-44-5.

7. YankeeFan

BTW, the Nate Silver map is freaking awesome:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/house

He gives the percentage that each candidate has to win. My local incumbent Congressman has a 100% chance of winning according to his projection.

If you click on the individual district, you can see his projected final results.

Indiana & Kentucky close the earliest. By following Layman's district and one (or two) others in Indiana and one in Kentucky, we should be able to get a pretty good take on what kind of night its going to be.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just want to let each of you know that I will be voting for the exact opposite candidates as you. So don't bother going to the polls. Your hard work filling in bubbles with pens and dimpling chads will be for nothing.

9. YankeeFan

Wild. I knew he was a disaster, but didn't know all the details.

And, only a couple of weeks ago, Tancredo was at something like 14%, so I didn't really pay attention.

I would really be shocking if Tancredo won, but it looks like the Republican nominee is going to lose almost all of his support, so it could happen.

What really surprises me is how poorly Hickenlooper has done. Isn't he pretty moderate/successful/popular?

The last time I was in Denver was during his campaign for Mayor. Hell, he seemed like the outsider/businessman challenging the political establishment. I thought he would have done much better in a state like Colorado -- especially against someone like Tancredo.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

really? lots of schools around here are polling places and the kiddos are still in class.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think people were delusional in 2008 in what they expected Obama to deliver. He was supposed to be the savior. His "big victory" was health care, which is a big reason so many democrats are losing their seats today. The war is a secondary issue, but it certainly doesn't help matters.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nate Silver has got to be a genius.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.