1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ELECTION DAY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dig that. I bet we could sit here most of the day and list names and not come up with the nominee. Somewhere out there sits a person no one is thinking about now who will become the nominee - and likely the President.

Does a Dem step up to challenge Obama?

Who the hey knows?

Isn't Huckabee considered too extreme by his own party? Or am I thinking of someone else?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it will be Barbour.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Two years till the next prez election, but how soon will they start campaigning or whatever? A year out? 6 months out?

I really have no clue.

4. Mizzougrad96

Huckabee makes me really nervous. I would have voted for Obama over him in 2008 if Huckabee had gotten the nomination.

I'm hoping Hillary throws her hat in the ring for 2012. If nothing else, it will keep things interesting.

5. Mizzougrad96

It will probably start Jan. 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When do they pick candidates?

7. Mizzougrad96

The Iowa Caucus is in Feb. 2012. I'm guessing some will start running a year out and a few will jump in during the next six months. If a really big name wanted to jump in late (Hillary) it could be toward the end of next year.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have started one, but if others are like me & don't really notice the sticky threads, then someone will start one.

I just noticed it and I'm surprised that I did notice it.

Thanks for the thread. I think most people can discuss this thoughtfully.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'll be on my best behavior. :)

But all bets are off if Spinning27 and The Good Doctor come back. :)

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Weren't they even earlier last election cycle? Other states tried to move up and I believe the '08 Caucus was in late '07. Isn't that right?

But, yeah, the '12 race basically starts tomorrow. Not the advertising or retail politics, but the lining up of advisers/pollsters, as well as the support of county chairmen and the like, and of course the fundraising. They may not be asking for money right away, but they'll be gauging the support of potential big donors (the "bundlers") and trying to get them on board.

Except for maybe someone like Palin -- or Hillary -- they can't afford to wait to get involved because people may have already pledged their support/money/expertise to another candidate.

And if you're not ready to do all of that, then you have to go around begging people to hold off committing to another candidate because you might run.

11. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Things were pretty busy at my polling place this morning. I had to wait a few minutes to get in and vote, which is a good sign. It's certainly going to be an interesting night of watching returns come in around the country!

Finally, thanks in advance to everyone for keeping this thread civil so we can have a healthy discussion about a very important day today.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I voted by mail late last week. Two very interesting races here in the Centennial State. Probably the closest senate race in the country. And a goofy governor's race with three candidates, with the Republican polling at about 5 percent, the Democrat who thought (probably rightly) he could cruise to the mansion without saying much of anything (other than a gaffe saying rural Colorado people are "backwards" in their thinking on gays) and a former firebrand Congressman who wants to bomb Mecca running as a third-party candidate who might pull it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.