1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ELECTION DAY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, read this carefully please before you even think of posting on this. We're doing this because, despite all appearances to the contrary, your management team is actually made up of good, fair people who like most of you.

Like the polls, we will open this thread at 7 a.m. tomorrow. It will stay open until 7 a.m. Wednesday, then it is getting locked. Keep ALL discussion of elections and politics here.

This does NOT mean anything goes. Quite the contrary. This is something of a test. If you don't feel you can discuss the results in a civilized manner like an adult, please go away. We get one personal attack, one "outburst" from either side, just one of the type of posts that caused us to make a no politics rule in the first place, the locks go on and we'll not try our luck with it again.

There are people on both sides I worry about. Again, libs and conversatives: Be an adult. If you can't, stay the hell away.

We're also on the lookout for people who don't like this idea and will throw something up just to get it locked. Trust me on this, we're smart enough to know the difference. All that will do is get the post deleted. And the poster.

We realize this is a big deal. We want to be open and fair. We're taking bets on how long this will last. Please handle it and prove us wrong. Please.

2. Moderator1

Have at it - and behave. Let's see if we can pull this off.

Election Day is pretty low key around here. I'm going to go vote because I always do but I'll admit: I have no idea what or who is on the ballot this year. We have one of those congressmen who always wins against token opposition and I'm not certain anyone is running against him this time. It's a funny district. The previous congressman was a very popular Democrat who always won pretty easily. When he died, he was succeeded by a Republican who became very popular and always seems to win by the same margins.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank you.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Well I guess I'll open things up.

First, thank you Moddy.

Secondly, there is only one national race I really care about. I mean, I hope for a conservative takeover, but I will be closely following the Mass. 5th District race in hopes that Jon Golnik can beat Niki Tsongas for her House seat.

I have a feeling it's going to be a good day.

Oh, and in case you missed the White House memo, Democratic votes count twice if you vote on Wednesday. LOL

Have a great day everyone.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Thanks, Moddy.

I live in a district whose congressman has been around forever, it seems, with token opposition. His opponent this time seems to have a bit of momentum, but I don't think he'll have enough.

Instead of the incumbent getting 70-75 percent of the vote, he'll probably get 60-65 percent.

And that reminds me. I'll have to make a frozen pizza for dinner tonight. That's one thing I miss about being in a newsroom. The election-night pizza.

6. Moderator1

Appreciate the appreciation, seriously, but thank the whole team. This was not a solo call by me.

7. Moderator1

I've paid very little attention because, as I've noted, nothing big going on here. And I have a deep belief, probably wrong, that it doesn't really matter. The party not in power always looks better but the reality is nothing changes (at least for me) based on which party is in power. Things sucked. The Democrats got control. Things still suck so the Republicans will get control. Things will continue to suck *** and on and on and on. Dems gloated two years ago. Repubs will gloat tonight. And nothing really changes.

But here's what threw me. I was under the impression that the Repubs were definitely taking back the Senate and maybe the House. Then I watch Today and the experts there seemed to be saying the House is msot likely to go Repub but the Senate may stay Dem.

So I'm more clueless than I thought.

I'll wake up tomorrow and carry on like I always do.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

YEAH ELECTION DAY

(I'm probably not voting. Nothing sexy happening here)

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Say it until it becomes natural...

Speaker Boehner... :)

I was celebrating my San Francisco Giants win this morning until I heard Pelosi was doing the same. :) I'll be celebrating tonight. She won't. :)

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who's running?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is essentially where I stand, and I've been lambasted for saying as much by friends/people I shared media centers with. So thank you.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I live in one of those districts (Indiana 2nd), that's one of those "you'll be able to tell early" races. Blue dog Democrat (Joe Donnelly) against a Tea Party backed "Grass Rooter" (Jackie Walorski). Frankly, I'll just be glad when it's over. The advertising has been insane, in volume & tone. Worst of all?? Walorski has turned orange. Seriously....I don't know if she's spent too much time in a cheap tanning booth, or they're using some fake tanning goop....but she's turned very orange over the last 10 days, or so. Very disturbing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.