1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election 2006. You Make The Call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Oct 30, 2006.

?

Predict the Cnogressional Results of the 2006 Election

Poll closed Nov 6, 2006.
  1. Dems sweep the House and Senate

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. House to Repub, Senate to Dems

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. House to Dems, Senate to Repub

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. Repubs hold the House and Senate

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. House to Repubs, Senate 50-50 split

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. House to Dems, Senate 50-50 split

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're failure to realize that there are outlets that are not "far left" or "hard right" explains much of your problems here.

Reports that the body of Nancy Pelosi is in hiding in Eminem's basement have been greatly exaggerated.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dems will pick up between 20-35 in the house, 51-49 in the Senate (Dem or GOP). Pelosi can talk a good game. All she has to do is not go Howie Dean between now and the 9th of November when the dust settles. The House will be decided by emotion and rancor over all of the shit that has gone down, and not reading between the lines like we here have been doing. Some will lose via guilt by association, even if they didn't have anything to do with Foley.

As far as here in Iowa, it's traditional for us to send incumbents back. With no Senate race until Grassley in '08, here is my predicts:

1st District: Whalen (replacing Nussle, who's running for Gov.)
    2nd District: Leach (Dems can't get themselves to hate him 'cause he's intelligent as hell)
    3rd District: Boswell (this sumbitch is Rasputin. Too bad Lamberti took the sword to run against him)
    4th District: Latham (running away with this)
    5th District: crazy ass Steve King and not even close. It's guys like King that makes regular GOPer look bad.

Leach, Latham, Whalen and King are under Team Elephant, Boswell is Team Donkey. Whalen will be the new guy, but he'll have to win Davenport, Dubuque, and the rural areas to offset Braley's gain in Waterloo. Leach has too much respect and class in his district and usually spilts with the GOP on several issues, that gives him credibility. Even Johnson County, the most liberal county in the state, can't deliver the votes to beat him.

Latham, King, and Boswell are going plow through their races. Boswell has Polk County (Des Moines) and the Dems will do everything to hang on to it.

In the governor's race, Nussle gives up his seat to run against Culver (his old man's ex-senator). Both guys haven't distinguished themselves enough to pull ahead of the other. Culver will win, 52-48, simply because the metro areas are decidedly Dems, but the suburbans are turning GOP quicker than Fredo can spell his name. That could pose a problem in '08. The rurals are staying GOP. Been like that forever.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

O.J. Simpson has joined the search for Nancy Pelosi.

More on this story as it develops.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Your problem, Zeke, is that you've come to believe that far left is "mainstream."

Dan Rather played it right down the middle in your book.

5. old_tony

Is she a golfer?

And wouldn't it really be a twist if it turned out she also was the real killer of Nicole and Ron?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

tony, you irrepressible moron, if Time's on the far left, what's a middle of the road publication?

Give me a continuum to work with here.

7. old_tony

Well, Zeke, gratuitous insults that won't be returned aside, on a scale of 1-100, with 50 being the middle, 1 being hard left and 100 being hard right, I'd give time a 35. Newsweek is about a 20, US News and World Report is about a 45. I'd say the Wall Street Journal is a 40 in its news columns and about a 65 on its editorial/opinion pages. The New York Times is a 15, the Washington Post a 20, the Washington Times an 80. The paper I work for would probably rate a 25, but I'm not about to out myself and tell you what paper that is.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well that's great.

How does that put Time on the far left?

9. old_tony

I rated Time as a 35. Does that make them "soft-hard" left? Certainly it's friendly to lefty pols a lot more than it is to righty pols.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You called Time far left, not me.

Perhaps they're hiding the elusive Ms. Pelosi, lest she be freed to bite small children on the street.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I predict the usual whining by the website's liberals.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

J.J. Abrams has confirmed that Nancy Pelosi is not the leader of The Others on LOST. Not yet, anyway.

Other media as rated on the Old Tony 1 to 100 scale:

The Economist: 2

NPR: -219

The New Yorker: .6

ESPN News: 22

Baseball Tonight: 13

George Michael Sports Machine: 42

The Golf Channel: 64

Inside The Actors Studio: 3.123

Weekend Update With Tina Fey: .003

Weekend Update With Dennis Miller: 59

The View with Merideth Vierra: 24