1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election 2006. You Make The Call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Oct 30, 2006.

?

Predict the Cnogressional Results of the 2006 Election

Poll closed Nov 6, 2006.
  1. Dems sweep the House and Senate

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. House to Repub, Senate to Dems

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. House to Dems, Senate to Repub

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. Repubs hold the House and Senate

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. House to Repubs, Senate 50-50 split

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. House to Dems, Senate 50-50 split

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, Lyman, we can debate that, but at least you're willing to admit that they were, in fact, in the magazines.

By the way, I just got done checking, and neither Harry Reid nor Nancy Pelosi is currently hiding in my kitchen.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Yes, if any article doesn't call Pelosi a San Francisco Liberal and state that there will be panic in the streets if she becomes Speaker, it's a fawning piece of crap. I love this meme from the right, "Forget the last six years. We're really screwed if the Dems take the House."

And Time gave Newt Gingrich such rough treatment that they named him Person of the Year.

3. No, when you make one person look like angry and bitter (Newt) and another look like a tough, steely, determined fighter (Pelosi), I'd say that isn't exactly fair treatment.

And I'm surprised you don't realize Time's Person of the Year isn't necessarily a positive. Hitler and Khomeini also received that honor.

Another brain stem in the chorus, I see.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lyman --

Have you checked your house for Nancy Pelosi?

Lord knows where she'll turn up.

5. It just doesn't matter, If you don't think Newtie got the full hummer from the elite DC press corps upon his elevation to the Speakership -- including ignoring the open secret of his comely-aide problem -- you haven't read any of the contemporary accounts and you're pulling stuff right out of your arse. Go back and read Ruthie Shalit's NR piece about taking long, contemplative walks with Jethro Herodotus in the early morning through his neighborhood. Read the Man of the Year piece. Take some valium to stop your knee from jerking.
    Read one goddamn thing you don't agree with.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nancy Pelosi is not serving drinks at Trader Vic's.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I dare say that a woman doesn't get to be the most powerful member of her party's House contingent without being a "tough, steely, determined fighter." I read the Newsweek profile and thought it was fair, but yes, it was not servile religious awe of all things GOP. Therefore, I know, it reeked of liberal bias.

And Gingrich was primarily portrayed as a take-no-prisoners, brilliant architect of the Republican revolution. It wasn't until he became embroiled in ethics muck that he became angry and bitter.

"The House had been broken, and someone finally fixed it," wrote Time in its Person of the Year story, which also gave Gingrich primary credit for the federal budget being balanced. (On that note, we still have a Republican House, and the budget is far from balanced. So, perhaps Time's praise was misdirected on that one.)

And the brain-stem insult was stupid the first 500 times you typed it. Turn the page, if you can.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There is no truth to the rumor that Nancy Pelosi will play backup harmonica on the next Guns N Roses tour with a KFC bucket on her head to prevent her true identity from being known.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

File interviews. File video. And done as "profiles on the future Speaker" by far left outlets only. The DNC has her in hiding. You can deny the reality of it. It is a free country after all. (that's my kinder, gentler style so that Ralph Waldo Henderson's hopes don't die) :)

And since I said, "Last two weeks" and you say "last six weeks," I'll take that as a concession of my point.

10. old_tony

... At the request of Trader Vic's. They like to have people wanting to come in.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wait, 60 Minutes, Good Morning America and Newsweek are now "far left" media outlets?

Despite appearances to the contrary, the kudzu has not swallowed Nancy Pelosi.

12. old_tony

Right. They're hard-right outlets.

Whether you admit it or not, those three outlets have a strong left lean, particularly 60 minutes.

Responses such as yours will really test my new kinder, gentler nature.

Draft saved Draft deleted