1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election 2006 -- Race By Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Montana odds have narrowed only slightly, at Tradesports . . .
    Yahoo Burns was a 3-1 'dog before the latest (closer) polls . . . only a 2-1 'dog, now.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

While Macaca (and, yes, I sucked as a Wahoo QB, too) Allen is now a PRONOUNCED
    underdog at Tradesports . . . yee-haw . . .

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . but it's not all bad for the Crook Party in the marketplace . . . Ford looks deader than
    a doornail in Tenn . . .

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think it's sweet people on this board would rather get their conventional wisdom from gamblers than from pundits and pollsters.
    In other news, I saw something on TV during CSI tonight I have never seen in 32 years of living in the Boston market. The DCCC ran an ad for the Democrat in one of the two NEW HAMPSHIRE house races.
    I'm kind of an agnostic about "waves" and such, but that's an ominous straw in the wind for the Republicans.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Here in NY it's looking like a Democratic blowout. Every statewide office and picking up anywhere from two to five upstate House seats, depending on the breaks. But things have gotten pretty nasty. My Republican incumbent has apparently sent out mailings that basically compare her Democratic challenger to Kim Jong Il. Classy.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

If you haven't seen it, and there may have been a thread about it, the most recent Esquire -- with the lovely Scarlett on the cover -- looks at each and every race.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It's always about The Man, eh?

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Walter Shapiro said it perfectly about Iowa: "And, finally, since I will be spending an awful lot of time there in the run-up to the caucuses, I want to know if the 2008 presidentials will be fawning over Iowa Gov. Chet Culver or upset victor Jim Nussle."

Larry Sabato is a good friend of one of my poli sci profs in college, and I learned to trust his work in school.

It says a lot about Iowa. Don't expect any surprises, unless the Iowa Senate leans left after being spilt 25-25 since '04. The GOP will need a few shockers to hang on to the Iowa House.
    The statehouse races are nastier and meaner than what Nussle/Culver and Boswell/Lamberti have been with those third party ads floating around.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Re., Ford vs. Corker, the fat lady just jumped into the shower and is shaving her armpits.

10. This is kind of interesting, too. Bringing the president to a district you haven't lost since Ike was in office?
    http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/11/02/local/doc4548b669d4393485591968.txt

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Where parties campaign and spend money in the final days before the election is as good of an indicator as anything else.

It's less than a week before the election, and Cheney has been stumping in frackin' IDAHO. The DSCC has dumped a lot of money into the TV time into the Arizona Senate race after the polls have tightened and early balloting numbers have evidently been very encouraging. If Kyl goes down, it's going to be a bloody Tuesday for the GOP.

And while some on the right like to poke fun at the Kos/netroots effort -- Lamont's gonna lose! Ha! Ha! -- its primary goal HAS ALWAYS been to field viable Democratic candidates in every district in the nation.

That is happening, with Dem congressional candiates at its highest number since the 1940s-60s glory days, and the Republicans playing defense in places they never dreamed they'd have to. As a result, that's fewer resources to throw at once-vulnerable Democrats like Jennifer Granholm and Maria Cantwell, who are going to get re-elected.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Zeke-

How much play is Hatch calling a reporter "a Republican whore" getting? It looked like Hatch might ride the Dem wave to a win over Pawlenty.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=27509

Draft saved Draft deleted