1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

El Sid ripped

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, May 30, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, he walked up in the middle of the group interview, right in front of Lloyd and started "I'm standing here taking with Michigan coach Lloyd Carr.." and started asking his own questions... Basically ignored the rest of the pack, cut everyone off. He did his own 1-on-1 in the MIDDLE of the group interview... Then walked away.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I was in Minny for the Midwest Regional in '89. Metrodome situation was a total mess, disorganized, etc. It was a warmup for the F4 in, I think '91. Homer Sid wrote about how great the Metrodome situation was, how all the NCAA suits were complimentary about Minny, etc., etc., blah blah blah VOMIT. He totally ignored the problems. The day his column ran, I introduced myself and called him on it, told him how FUBARed the whole situation was, etc.
    Sid Hartman outlived his usefulness, oh, about 20 years ago. He's an embarrassment to journalism, sports columnists and ... considering his crass ass behavior, the human race.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Had the displeasure a couple of times when I covered pro football. We were covering a bad team, and we were a fun group. Boy, did he hate us when we joked our way through a couple of Vikings encounters with the team we covered.

I'm not a fan, whatsoever.

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Saw the thread title and for the life of me couldn't imagine why sid fernandez was back in the news. ;D

5. slap --
    Honest to god, it was.
    It was a between-innings-god-this-game-sucks-where's-the-Diet-Coke? moment. He treated it like I'd run the chair over his grandchild.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

not to defend him, but he comes from a different era. he was a sports writer for the old tribune (or was it the star?) at the same time he was general manager of the minneapolis lakers. i am not making this up. imagine a sports writer being a GM of a professional sports franchise today. not happening, obviously. i just read leigh montville's bio of babe ruth and there were plenty of instances in which writers made themselves part of the story. that's what they did back in the old days; they were not as objective. sid does the same thing -- he sees himself as a 'man about town' and a local mover and shaker rather than a chronicler of what happens. he's a dinosaur who hasn't learned to adapt like the few of his contemporaries who are still around. but he's survived because in some ways, he is what passes for a celebrity.

as was posted on a thread about sid a couple weeks ago here, he's pushing 90, but he'll die in a press box because he has no true friends and no life outside of journalism. i have plenty of sid stories but what stands out to me is that once the klieg lights go out, he's a miserable (but wealthy) and lonely old man.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One of the STrib's former columnists had (and I think still has) a show on KFAN in Minneapolis and he used to rip Sid every chance he got on the air. What made it funny was the fact that his co-host was Sid's son.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

That would be Dan Barreiro, who is the polar opposite of Sid "Fan Man" Hartman.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

speaking of barreiro, he weighs in on his blog, on his talk radio station's web site

http://rubechat.kfan.com/blogs/danbarreiro/default.aspx

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

hee hee... he called Mr. Microphone a "consumate house bobo"

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How did he get wealthy?

Slap, what he did was wrong but why did you guys let it happen? How come no one shouted FUCK into his microphone or railroaded his act?

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The next person I hear say a good thing about Sid will be the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted