1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

El Lay

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 28, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Featuring, as I recall, NUDE NUDE NUDES.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oy, I wasn't trying to insult the general population of LA, I've lived there and loved it. I should have specified that I was only referring to the insecure neurotic people who do truly always feel like they're missing something. You can't deny that's a reality of the LA social scene, particularly in the entertainment industry.

I apologize to all the secure, stable Angelenos. No offense intended.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

forgiven ... just don't let it happen again.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Would agree that this does apply to those who think they're in the entertainment industry.

But we mellow former surfer-types from the "South Bay" area like to think we lived free of neuroses, other than the usual teenage angst and in my case, the constant need to go to Disneyland.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I have no tourist advice for Bubbler, but I will agree with Norrin Radd about the South Bay area.

Went there to visit family (they live in Torrance) a couple years ago, and LOVED the beach, the tide pools, everything about the ocean. Nicely kept up, post World War-II neighborhoods, too. Good eats everywhere.

(of course, none of that is near Westwood, right?)

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If you hang around Manhattan Beach for a few minutes, you're sure to see a hockey player ... or 10.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

South Bay isn't that far from where I'll be. Sounds like it's worth a visit.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not accepted. Because I know you were talking specifically about me. Just like my mother always does. And my boss. And my neighbor. And my casting agent. And Dallas Raines and Johnny Mountain.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If you go to Hollywood, you could try Mel's diner on Sunset. Reasonable prices and good for star gazing. When I'm in L.A. I like to embrace the 'Hollywood' plasticness for all it is. Don't fight it, experience it. Walk down Rodeo Drive.

But I also like Santa Monica and driving around Pacific Palisades for some of the most stunning views in L.A.

Hermosa Beach is very chill. Love it.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My two cents (from "knowing" Bubbler on this board), and his opening post: Stay away from Hollywood, Musso & Frank's Chateau Marmonte and all the trendy bars in Hollywood or Beverly Hills. Methinks you will be underwhelmed and disappointed, and irritated at the cost. I think all that shit is severely overrated.

Get the fuck out of Sherman Oaks, and stay as west as you can, its hard to go wrong with any of the beach areas, from as far north as Malibu down to Orange County. Since you have never been here, you will be overwhelmed by the natural beauty... but you won't have as many celebrity sightings to tell friends when you get home.

Here are some ocean view restaurants in Malibu
    https://www.google.com/search?q=malibu+restaurants+with+ocean+view&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

Someone mentioned the Santa Monica pier and promenade

The South Bay beaches of Hermosa, Manhattan and Redondo have great beach bars - especially Manhattan beach.

If money is tight andyou are looking for looking for low cost stuff, people mentioned the Getty Museum (I think you need to reserve parking - call or go online) or Griffith Observatory near Dodger stadium.

Make sure you have a GPS.

PM me if you have questions.

Oh, and our dirty little secret is all the disgusting graffiti, and freeways signs surrounded by barbed wire.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you're going someplace for your first visit, hitting the "touristy" activities is a good thing. There's a reason why they're attractions in the first place. Going to LA without dipping into the Hollywood scene or Hollywood history makes no sense.
    PS: I agree the South Bay area is fabulous. If I lived in LA, that's where I'd want to live. But living and visiting are different activities. I've lived in Lexington, Mass for 20 years. It's great. But if anyone was visiting Boston for the first time, I'd point out they can see the Battle Green and related historical sites here in all of five to 15 minutes, then move on.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Stay the hell off the 405, although from Sherman Oaks that's going to be hard.

(Can't believe it took this long.)

Draft saved Draft deleted