1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eight killed watching drag race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Feb 16, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jzkSdS7ErCo6k8JY8LopeH5FafXQD8URJ00O0

They died doing what they loved.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My sympathy and thoughts are with the families. RIP.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Watching an ILLEGAL drag race. But still, it's a shame that a car with no headlights came out nowhere to hit the spectators.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From updated AP story:

The crowd then moved into the road to watch the cars drive away. The combination of the smoke and the dark morning likely meant the driver of the approaching white sedan could not see the crowd. No charges were pending.

He may well have had his lights on. And I'm having a REAL hard time finding any sympathy for the victims. Particularly the 61-year-old father: Nice example you're setting there, old man.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't care what time it is at night, standing in the middle of a relatively major highway is not a good idea.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

That was what caught my attention, a 61-year-old man was out watching an illegal drag race at 3 a.m.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to southern Maryland. The emphasis starts to shift more towards southern. Hell, that's where new neighborhoods are routinely lit up on fire by locals pissed off about growth. There's even a bi-county arson task force there. Should have seen the redneck girl they just arrested.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Wow, what a drag......

What? Too soon?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I posted this on an earlier thread.

Streetracing's been a problem up here and the Ontario government has gone all hard-ass.

If you're caught doing 50 kmh over the speedlimit (that's about 30 mph), you're charged with streetracing, you have your car impounded ON THE SPOT, and you'll be sujbect to a fine that goes as high as $10,000

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how do the mounties catch up to you when they have to ride those horses?

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Quote from the brother of one of the victims: "He liked going to the race track, watching races."

Well, go to the fucking race track, then.

No sympathy here.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So how many points is that? </toosoon>

Draft saved Draft deleted