1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eight is Enough - more baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Probably Utley, going with his better defense over Uggla.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Raul Casanova can hit the postgame spread hard.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

With respect to those two gentlemen, the leading contenders have to be Lance Berkman and Chipper Jones. And even though I'm an obvious Braves fanboy (sorry, I ain't using the i version), my vote, if I had one, would go to Berkman at this point.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

With all of the Met whining around here I can't believe no one has mentioned the irony of Kenny Rogers throwing a gem to lose the game because a reliever blew it with a game ending bases loaded walk.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The one whose history suggests he can keep this up. Uggla is streaking right now, but he has not really shown the ability to hit for average like this before. I think he could hit 40 home runs, but I doubt he ends up with better overall numbers than Utley. In the long run, he isn't even the best player on his own team.

Utley is a much better defender and he had been slumping until the last couple of games.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Utley .309 BA .627 SLG 16 HR 42 RBI .388 OBP 40 R
    Uggla .317 .694 16 38 .398 40
    Berkman .385 .759 16 46 .471 53
    Jones .416 .674 12 35 .490 38

8. outofplace

All good options at this point, novelist.

I still think Utley is the one most likely to maintain his current pace, even pick it up a bit. He is certainly capable of a higher batting average than that.

Berkman, Jones and Uggla all figure to slow down.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm as big a Phils phanboy as you're going to find, but right now it's Berkman/Jones or Jones/Berkman as 1/1A.

The more interesting battle might be starting 2B for the NL All-Star team.

And if Utley is a "much better" defender, then Uggla must be only a step or two away from Soriano/Braun skills at second. Utley's made himself a very respectable defender, but he's not exactly the second coming of Sandberg in the field.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yesterday, reporters were at Shea by 8 A.M. on the 'Willie and Wilpons watch.' Mets ownership did not arrive until one in the afternoon. With clubhouse doors opening at 3:40, that should have been more than enough time for the Wilpons, Randolph and Minaya to hold their State of the Union.

When the clubhouse doors opened, players were asking reporters what was going on with their manager. Around 4:30 P.M., it was announced that Minaya and Randolph were going to meet the media.

11. outofplace

mustard, my estimation of their relative defensive skills was more an indictment of Uggla than praise of Utley.

I agree that right now it would have to be Jones or Berkman.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't assume Dusty will run Bruce out there every day and bench Patterson. More than likely Bruce will be picking splinters out of his ass for the next two weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.