1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eight dead in Okla. town hit by tornado

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And it wasn't even a direct hit on Lone Grove. Instead it hit a trailer park on the eastern outskirts.

http://www.newsok.com/15-dead-in-lone-grove-dozens-of-injuries-reported/article/3344899?custom_click=masthead_topten

The death toll may rise into the scores once daylight breaks and the search for bodies can resume. Lots of people are still unaccounted for.

Looks like at least an F4. The path was a half-mile wide in places.

This is serious.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Re: 15 dead in Okla. town hit by tornado

Very, very tragic. Tornado season will be upon us pretty soon, too.

3. Re: 15 dead in Okla. town hit by tornado

I know at least FB will appreciate this.
    Remember the tornado that tore up OKC and much of the state on May 3, 1999?
    I have a buddy who is a storm chaser. He said that sucker was so big, they considered adding the F6 category just to classify it. It is the biggest tornado in recorded history.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The death toll stands at 8 after a better count this morning. Sounds pretty bad.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My wife's mother said winds at her place -- between Dallas and Fort Worth -- topped 70 MPH last night. I'm not shocked there was some serious damage where the majority of the storm was sitting.

I don't miss tornado season.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

So there were 15 reported dead last night and today only 8? Why not just account some as missing instead of declared dead, or did they resurrect?

Oh, and I found this from the DFW mess, in a place some of the locals call CollyWOOD (the local HS organized the wearing of black the day after the presidential election to mourn the death of capitalism).
    Very well to do area.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1197293.html

7. KG

KG Active Member

I'm very afraid of tornadoes. I hate how in the hilly Atlanta burbs you can't see it coming until they are really close. I've been through a couple of them, seen a few more. I'm mostly afraid because we don't have a basement. I've tried for years to talk the hubby into building us a small shelter in the garage (split level house), just something big enough for us, the dogs and a couple of future kids to squeeze in to for shelter, but he has the mentality that if it starts blowing things around down there, we might as well kiss our asses goodbye. One day he'll come home to some wannabe shelter I've built myself. What I really want is reinforced concrete.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My wife's folks are 5-10 minutes from Colleyville. They're lucky they didn't get more than they did.

And yes, Colleyville kids have made some absolutely stupid decisions.

9. gretchd

gretchd Member

I have a tendency to go outside and look around when they say tornadoes are coming (like yesterday). Pretty dumb, huh?

10. micke77

micke77 Member

i live in northern part of louisiana and i hate the tornado season because invariably we'll get those coming in from oklahoma, east texas...right down that "alley" of the northwest area of louisiana and southern arkansas.
    i was really worried last night because the forecasters kept saying we werre going to get 60-70 MPH winds, but must have missed us. things weren't too bad, maybe 25-30 MPH gusts.
    i am trying to get a friend of mine who lives in oklahoma city. hope they're well.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

::)

Couldn't resist getting political even in this thread, huh?

Damage as far south as the Houston area, and in my neck of the woods, a bit north, there was some power loss, trees on houses and more.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember going through that area about a year later. Was passing through OKC on vacation, and decided to take a quick drive around Moore. About every third house was just a slab with a driveway leading up to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted