1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

eHarmony not in harmony with homosexual agenda

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, May 31, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not saying J-date is wrong. I'm simply arguing your premise.

And I readily admitted earlier that if someone in California (where the suit started) wants to sue a homosexual dating site for its exclusiveness, they probably could, just like this woman.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I agree -- so let the laws of supply and demand sort it out, not the courts, not the legislature, not any other politician.

If this is really that big of a deal, if it is that bigoted then Americans who oppose the policy will go elsewhere for dating services and this place will lose money and either change or close up shop. That's how it is supposed to work.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would rather the courts have to make a decision on this, because I'm curious to see how this turns out.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I would hope that the courts would throw this out before it got to the door, though if you get the right liberal California court, I'm sure it would at least be given some legs for political reasons.

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I'll wade in a little late, but I'll just add this.

Oz, I'd rather not see it go to court, because there's a fundamental right here for religious freedom. An internet dating service is not a restaurant, hotel or public restroom. And the potential ruling that would force a person to violate his religious convictions to run his business is a problem for me.

Nothing is stopping this woman who initiated the lawsuit from dating another woman. So she's not having any rights infringed. But if the court rules that e-harmony has to either violate the religious convictions of its founder or close up shop, that is an infringement on the First Amendment rights the founder has.

6. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Met my bride-to-be through eHarmony 17 months ago. We'll be married on July 28. Never realized eHarmony only offered services for heterosexuals, but then I was only looking for a female.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wasn't the internet developed using government funding?

Couldn't it be viewed as a public resource, much like cable?

I'm honestly asking.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bud, congrats on the wedding, it's good to hear an example of eHarmony working. I'll actually be getting married the same day.

9. Thank you. You and Zagoshe make good points.

10. I suggest you take this First Amendment issue up with Justice Scalia, who wrote the opinion a few years back denying the Navajos the right to use peyote in their religious ceremonies - which they've been doing for longer than Scalia's church has been using bread in its liturgy.

11. Agree.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A great friend from high school met someone online, up and moved from Wyoming to Alaska to marry him. Mom and dad were't too happy. But she is.

Draft saved Draft deleted