1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egyptian Military to Morsi: You have 48 hours to reach a deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You should watch Al Jazeera English's stream just to see the split screen between pro-Morsi and anti-Morsi groups. Fascinating.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The military crushing the Muslim Brotherhood will be great to watch. My guess is the MB will barely fight back at all, exposing themselves as bullies, and cowards.

3. YankeeFan

Pretty awesome fireworks display going on. Looks better than what we'll see in Chicago tomorrow.

Pretty wild to see it erupt spontaneously.

I mean, holy shit, that's a lot of fireworks.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Too bad that Howard Cosell is not around to announce it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

K-h-a-d-a-f-i.

Or Q-a-a-d-a-f-y.

One of those.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm glad I read through this shitshow just to get to this post. Nice work.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

O-S-A-M-A

U-S-A-M-A

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So wholesale immediate support of a group overthrowing a democratically elected govt by military force, and whose first actions have been to suspend the Constitution and and new "Code of Ethics" for journalists, is "standing for freedom"? That's a funny definition of freedom you have, YF.

It is hardly unreasonable for our govt to express "skepticism" about these people before immediately jumping on the bandwagon. We don't know who they really are yet, and the manner in which they have seized power is as non-democratic and non "freedomy" as it gets.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You know the Arabic alphabet doesn't translate into English letters exactly, right? There are several sounds for which we don't have letters, and a couple of their letters translate to multiple English ones.

Sort of like the Russian letter that's between "y" and "i" in English. We don't have that letter, so it can be "Dmitry" or "Dmitri."

There's no definite English spelling because there are several letters that could replace the Arabic ones.

Morsi is probably spelled mim-rah-seen (or maybe saud, there are two "s" letters/sounds)-alif (or maybe just the tarmibuta).

Vowels aren't normally written but expressed with pronunciation marks (IIRC, they're called harraquets). If the "o" does use a vowel, it's probably the "wohw" letter.

In Morocco, the words for "bird" and "public bath" were spelled in English exactly the same ("hammam"), but the "h" was pronounced differently.

Essentially, when you're translating Arabic to English, there's no set spelling because their letters can be represented with different English ones. Others, like the "3ign" are hard to represent because there's just NO similar sounds in English. It's kind of like "aighn" but not really, so in Peace Corps, we just used the "3" to represent that letter when texting and stuff.

10. YankeeFan

Meanwhile, the Obama administration keeps it's focus on Israel.

When are they going to realize that the problem in the Middle East is not Israel. And, how naïve does John Kerry sound?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.