1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Effingham Teutopolis News Report

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by allanjlewis, Nov 14, 2012.

1. allanjlewis

allanjlewis New Member

More Effingham for everyone.

I am leaving my job officially titled sports reporter with the ETNR, the weekly paper competing with and subsequently getting sued by the Effingham Daily News to take a job in marketing and move closer to home. It's been fun, but it's time to try something new. I gave two weeks last night and they will be moving fast on this since we are a really small staff on the editorial side.

The job was actually listed on journalismjobs a while back and some of you may have seen it. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1444931 I'm sure it will be back up there again soon.

This is pretty much a swiss army knife of journalism job. I have three high schools to cover (including the Flaming Hearts and the Wooden Shoes) two news beats (Wooden Shoes school board and Wooden Shoes city board) generally three broadsheet pages of layout each week, and take all of my own photos. They have a really nice camera available to use, so that's made me look like a much better photographer than I actually am.

The people are good, there is a giant cross, and while the pay might not be the best, it is better than some j-jobs out there sadly. It is a ton of work, but can be fulfilling at times.

Probably ideal for a recent college graduate who learned everything like myself, or a veteran looking for a change of scenery. The main news guy has 30 + years experience in the area.

PM me for more details.

- Allan

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, dueling Effingham job threads. And who said the days of newspaper wars were over?

3. DK

DK Member

Damn, great truck stops and two newspapers ... what more could you want out of life?

Draft saved Draft deleted