1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Effin Irene

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Charlie Rangel can swim.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

I just got back from trying to recycle a couple of cans at a grocery store in Manhattan and the lines were out the door. Went to another one, and it was same deal - in the middle of the workday.

This is what drives me crazy about this stupid city.

The thought of ONE day without new food and New Yorkers think they're going to 'effin STARVE!

...and you wonder why they suck at camping.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yes, beyond flooding the subway -- and having lived through a shutdown of the NYC transportation system in a blizzard, I can tell you that isn't a pretty sight -- the danger is going to be shards of glass landing with incredible force. I think the same thing happened in Houston with Ike.

Also, with all the tall buildings, the wind will be squeezed and accelerate.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am now well prepared. Just got a new battery for my Kindle light.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Potentially, but apparently they sense danger well and would roll out ahead of the rising waters.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Jim Cantore is in NYC, so good luck with that.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw that photo elsewhere and I am certain I will have a nightmare because of it.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Get out now, Tri-State area -- the NYC and suburban transit system will be shut down beginning noon tomorrow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/nyregion/new-york-city-begins-evacuations-before-hurricane.html

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

And now come the mandatory evacuations:

"Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg ordered a mandatory evacuation -- something the city had never done before, he said -- of coastal areas in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, along with Battery Park City and the financial district in Lower Manhattan and Governor’s Island. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/nyregion/new-york-city-begins-evacuations-before-hurricane.html?_r=1&hp

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Whitey Herzog wonders what all the fuss is about.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Sheesh. I'm hoping for a direct hit on D.C. Something needs to scare those politicians into reality.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yeah, because no one lives here except politicians. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted