1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Effin Irene

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bloomberg is very matter of fact and monotone when he speaks about crisis. I think it's a good approach and breath of fresh air to the panic stricken tv talking heads. Life goes on. It is what it is. Deal with it.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This thing is likely going to hit Long Island as a tropical storm and the Tri State is pissing its pants like the world is ending. Perspective please.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The big concern for NYC is possible flooding of the subway system, because that's going to drive the rats to the surface.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No more calls please ... WE'VE GOT A WINNER!

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Trump's already on the surface.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I don't think the hipsters will like that very much.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Are there any Congressional birthday parties this weekend?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, but there could have been more of a "be prepared, make sure you have supplies ready" tone. You can be calm and in charge without being dismissive of the situation. Even if this turns out to be just a rainy day, a little sense of urgency toward preparations wouldn't hurt.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

True. Though remember that Long Island, let alone New York City, is densely populated with lots of buildings, glass windows and other things that can become dangerous projectiles even in tropical storm force winds. Even a tropical storm with 70 mph winds is going to leave a pretty big mess.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

This is like when northerners make fun of southerners for freaking out about a snow storm. We aren't nearly as use to this kind of thing and so don't know how to handle it as well. Also, yeah, with how crowded everything is, that makes it worse as well.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'll have my pitchfork ready.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/08/someone_killed_a_three-foot-lo.html

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Won't it drown a significant amount of them too?

Draft saved Draft deleted