1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Effin Irene

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_map_english.pdf

NYC puts out an evacuation map. My old neighborhood of Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, is in color. So are LaGuardia and Kennedy airports. I hope no one is going anywhere this weekend.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Probably taken off the Island by Friday, I would imagine. Looks like the patio furniture will have to come in early.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well yeah, but I'm guessing the Secret Service would like to have him high and dry by the time the storm arrives.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

From the Facebook feed of the world's greatest TV weatherperson, Tom Skilling:

Have just learned every Nat'l Wx Service upper air observation station east of the Rockies has been ordered to launch weather balloon every 6 hrs (instead of every 12 hrs) to feed into computer models which must forecast Irene's future movement. This is a rare step and a testament to the severity of the East Coast situation. Latest computer rainfall fcsts off the NWS GFS model: Cape Hatteras: 9.62"; Philly: 7.06"; NYC 8.26"; Atl City 7.56".

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It seems I'm picking a good weekend to leave Virginia and head to Columbus.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This looks like some serious shit. It's not often my house gets in a tropical storm watch. Should be a fun weekend!

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Do I marry her? Do I ice her? Which of deez?

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

President Obama will likely somehow wind up being blamed for the storm.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

This may be one of the few times in a while that a good portion of my state was upset that Irene was going to head to the east coast and not Texas.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A word to the wise: the flooding from the rain usually kills more people than the wind or storm surge. So don't automatically blow it off if it seems like "nothing happened" when the eyewall hits shore.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I hope Sean Penn comes by to rescue me in his row boat.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Obama's Katrina.

Draft saved Draft deleted