1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Effect of getting some PR experience

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DennisReynolds, Dec 1, 2009.

1. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

Hi folks, I was hoping someone out there might have some insight for me about a decision I'm facing. I'm a recent J-school grad who has had a few good internships at major print/online outlets but has had no luck finding a gig so far, other than a little freelance work. I currently have an opportunity to take a pretty good (and paid) internship at a PR firm. PR isn't my first choice, but this would be an opportunity to see if it's something I like and want to pursue further.

My question is if I decide a little ways down the road that I want to return to journalism, what would be the effect of having experience at a PR firm? If anyone out there is an SE, is that something you would consider a positive or negative (or would it make no difference) if you were looking at a candidate with solid previous journalism experience?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Personally, I think you would be doing yourself a favor by taking the PR internship. It'll diversify your skills and may end up helping you get a job down the road.

There's the whole school of thought that once you go to PR, you've lost credibility to journos. Problem is, there's not that many journalism jobs any more, so you may end up in PR, whether you're planning on it or not.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with Baron.

I would take it and not hesitate.

It's an internship. So you wouldn't be "returning" to journalism. You'd still be looking for your first job.

And you might find that PR is something you like.

4. Agreed. Take it. That it's a paid internship makes it a no-brainer. Most newspaper internships don't pay much more than a stipend, if you can find any in this market.

5. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

Thanks, I was already leaning in the direction of going for it, but it's nice to get some validation. I don't want to give up on journalism, but at the same time I need to prepare for the possibility of that not being a real long-term option.

Draft saved Draft deleted