1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edwin Snowden Come In From The Cold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 2, 2014.

?

Should Snowden Receive Amnesty?

1. Yes

48.4%
  2. No

51.6%
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What Snowden did was illegal and he should be prosecuted. I have no sympathy for the guy.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What Rosa Parks did was illegal, too.

What's legal and what's right can be two different things.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Every time this subject comes up, I am reminded of the saying: The most dangerous words in the English language are "we're from the government. We're here to help." (or something like that)

I don't care if it's illegal. What the NSA is doing is wrong. Snowden performed a public service. Yes he should be pardoned.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

OK, Snowden's actions were wrong and illegal. The other obvious difference is that Rosa Parks put only herself in jeopardy with her act of civil disobedience while Snowden took it upon himself to undermine a federal surveillance program that had national security implications.

People shocked by the depth of the government's data collection should have been screaming when the Patriot Act passed 96-1 back in 2001.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dingdingding. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I would also contend there's the subject of the Fourth Amendment, but, hey, why should we concern ourselves with such a trivial matter?

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I remember when Justice had Microsoft tried and convicted for running a monopoly ... and then suddenly nothing happened.
    The whole thing just went away.
    Kind of like this Snowden stuff will soon enough.
    The current president also promised the public that investigations would take place on the IRS scandals, Benghazi and spying on the AP.
    Now it's crickets.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I WAS screaming then, and ever since about the Patriot Act. In fact, I was, to a much lesser degree, trying to blow the whistle on that just like Snowden did.

If someone were to repeal the Patriot Act, or decline to renew it, he, she or they would be goddam heroes, too.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Many considered and still consider both Deep Throat ( now as we know Mark Felt) and
    Daniel Ellsberg heroes for what they did although a strong case could be made that it
    was illegal.
    Felt as Deputy Director of The FBI was providing insider information from an ongoing
    criminal investigation. Ellsberg released classified Pentagon documents in circumstances
    that could be considered analogous to Snowden.

In many circles both have been wildly viewed as heroes because they helped to take
    down an unpopular President and unpopular war.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's a huge stretch to compare the leak of the Pentagon Papers to Snowden's disclosures. For starters, they had to do with things that had occurred (in contrast with Snowden's disclosure of things that were ongoing).

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't know. Ellsberg released classified military documents while we
    were still heavily into Viet Nam war. To me that may even be more
    treasonous than what Snowden did.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You mean the Issa hearings aren't as loud as crickets?

Draft saved Draft deleted