1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edwin Pope's Super Bowl streak ends

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed... Well-done DW...

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, well done. But according to the HOF site, Edwin is still the Miami representative.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx

3. Mizzougrad96

Even without Pope, the median age of the HOF voters will probably be 65+.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Peter Finney, who is New Orleans' representative, is even older than Pope by a year or two.

5. Mizzougrad96

As long as they're still working in the business, I don't have a problem with it. There are a couple who have been retired awhile who won't give up their spots.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bob Oates had his spot forever. I remember meeting him at a Super Bowl and thinking "wow, I first read this guy in Street & Smith's Football Preview (no separate pro issue back then, NFL got the back of the book) when I was eight years old."

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd heard Herald legend that Edwin had said he wouldn't call it Joe Robbie Stadium until he could call it Joe Robbie Memorial Stadium. So the night we got news of Robbie's death -- as I recall this was about 10 p.m. -- I made the call to Edwin and he said, "Son of a bitch would wait till this time of night." No one quite like the Pontiff.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm sitting near Edwin in the early 90s at an FSU-Miami game, with a night kickoff. After the game he gets a call from his desk apparently asking him when he's going to send.
    Edwin replies, "Do you want it fast or do you want it good?"

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I, too, recall something about Jerry Green's streak ending or almost ending.

Has he been to every Super Bowl?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, to my knowledge.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

One of the nicest guys ever to grace a press box. If you listened to what he had to say, you could learn a thing or two.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes. He left the Star-Ledger in 1996 and started his own website, but continued to be credentialed every year.

I'll link to the retrospective column I read this week when I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted