1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edwards to continue campaigning despite wife's cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Mar 22, 2007.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

John Edwards is suspending his presidential campaign because his wife's cancer has returned. No matter your political affliation, keep Elizabeth Edwards in your thoughts and prayers.

EDIT: Updated thread title to reflect news conference.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0307/Edwards_to_Suspend_Campaign.html

2. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Re: Edwards to suspend campaign

I'm having problems with that link... here's another one in case others had similar problems

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/ny-natedwa0323,0,6637153.story?coll=orl-news-headlines

The key word here is "suspend." I think he'll be back, running as an alternative for those with Hillary/Obama fatigue.

3. Re: Edwards to suspend campaign

She's a very classy lady and this really sucks.

4. statrat

statrat Member

MSNBC.com is reporting his campaign will be continuing.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Edwards in on live now... the campaign is going on.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So much for that scoop.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if Edwards had been on the other end of the ticket in 2004, the Dems might have actually won...

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

One of the things I'm intertested in is reading people's feedback. Some people will question him because he's not "dedicated" to his wife. Some people will say he had no choice but to continue.
    That's life in the public idea.
    Either way, one hopes it was a very difficult decision for Mr. Edwards to continue and one that was made with the completion partnership and blessing of Mrs. Edwards.
    I guess what I'd like to read on this thread is people putting themselves in Mr. Edwards' shoes. Obviously, that's impossible to do completely and accurately, but what do you THINK you might do in his situation.
    Women, what if you were in Mrs. Edwards' shoes?
    Both men and women, what if your spouse was running for President and you had a re-occurence of cancer?
    Let's keep it civil, stay out of political extremism and get inside the hearts and minds of a difficult and challenging situation.
    Have at it.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Well, if I heard them right, it is not curable but it is treatable cancer. I have no idea what that means. If it turns out for the worst and I were Mrs. Edwards, I might want to go out with a bang instead of a whimper.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Wow, tough one. As the husband of an 8 year Breast Cancer survivor, all I know for certain is that I can't judge (not even sure that's the word I'm looking for) this decision.

From strictly our experience, my wife's fight became the focus of our entire existence. Not merely the physical part (surgery, chemo, radiation), but the emotional aspect. 100% investment in the fight. We still worked, still paid our bills, still tried to keep the framework of a "normal" life going......but the fight came first and foremost. Plus...this was without the added burden (in the Edward's case) of small children.

Yet, fighting a disease like cancer is such a personal experience. While my gut says "What are you THINKING?" when I hear the campaign will continue.....I also understand why they'd continue. Folks process things differently, are driven and inspired by different challenges. Although it may be a foreign concept to me....maybe this is the sort of thing that will somehow "assist" in their fight against her cancer. I dunno.

Why I do know, though....is that my heart hurts for them.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I wish this guy would make up his mind. ... No wonder the Democrats haven't been in office in seven years.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Once cancer spreads to the bone or organs, the prognosis isn't good. Miracles happen, but the road ahead for Mrs. Edwards will be difficult. It will depend on how far the cancer has spread, how aggressive it is and how it responds to treatment. I like her a lot, and I hope they are able to manage her cancer as well as they can, for her sake. I've spent too much time in cancer wards. Cancer sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted