1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edward Norton fired as "The Hulk"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni3273557/

There can only be two reasons for this.

1. They can't afford him.
    2. As talented as Norton is, he's such a pain in the ass to deal with that they don't want the hassle.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

3. Both of the above.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Statement from the producers basically says, yeah, Norton is a pain in the ass.

Thought he was pretty good for the role (as was Eric Bana), but I was pretty underwhelmed with both Hulk movies. He was never one of my favorite superheroes, though.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

5. outofplace

They should bring back Bana just to get the fans to start really screaming. Actually, I thought he was fine. That script was complete shit.

Norton was better, but he also had a better story to work with. It wasn't a great movie, but it was solid.

The statement is what is pissing off Norton and his reps. They are saying it is about money and that the studio should just admit it rather than bashing Norton. I'm guessing that they decided to cut some costs and realized that getting rid of the pain in the ass was a good way to do it.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Norton is too good of an actor to be playing comic book heroes.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd be OK if they just stopped making Hulk movies.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The forgotten equation of making movies:
    good script > big-name actor

9. outofplace

Shoeless Joe, is that blue font or just crap?

There have been some damn good movies based on comic-book characters. Try opening your mind. You're missing out on some very good stuff.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Nope, no blue there Ebert.

I like comic book movies. Loved the original Batman with Keaton, but the following ones in the series were lacking. The recent Wolverine movie was good, and the other X-Men movies were OK. The Spiderman movies were entertaining, although Maguire is a douche. Can't stand Bale, but the most recent incarnation of Batman movies meet muster. Fantastic Four movies were pretty fun to watch. I liked the first Ironman pretty well and haven't seen the last one. I am eagerly looking forward to the new Captain America (the greatest comic hero) movie coming out.

But Norton in Hulk, nor any of those movies really, equal American History X, Rounders, Fight Club, Primal Fear, Down in the Valley, The Italian Job, hell even Keeping the Faith.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yeah, just lousy actors like robert downey should do comic book heroes

12. outofplace

So, are you saying that Keeping the Faith is higher in cinematic class than any comic book movie? Or the Italian Job? Seriously?

Or are you just saying that Norton wasn't as good in The Incredible Hulk as he was in those movies?

Some of those films you listed were decent comic book movies. Some were just damn good movies that happened to be about comic book characters (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Spider-Man would fall into the latter category for me).

Draft saved Draft deleted