1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education spending equals 0.075 correlation to SAT results

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printit, Mar 26, 2014.

1. printit

printit Member

Insufficient data to support broad claim. Fair enough. My initial statement had a dose of hyperbole. What I was more interested in was if you had a criticism of the study itself, or an argument against using it to support (not prove) the claim I was making.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So, then ... the ol' "trust us" argument?

3. Dick Whitman

How could we? We don't know the methodology, other than that it was described in a separate publication that I presume we are supposed to serendipitously identify and make our way to, somehow.

4. printit

printit Member

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/working-paper-16.pdf

5. printit

printit Member

I found it using magic and the Cato search engine and luck. Well, one of those things, at least.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He spells it out up top and cites his sources under each graph. I can't speak to his methodology or the quality of his work, but he did a time-series regression analysis that is spelled out separately in this paper (referenced under each graph):

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/working-paper-16_2.pdf

I did a super quick read, but he controlled for student participation rates and the demographic characteristics of the parents and students. Table 1 in that publication has a master list of control variables. I didn't attempt to understand the methodology.

7. Dick Whitman

OK, objection withdrawn.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

“The correlation between spending and academic performance changes of the past 40 years, for all 50 states, is 0.075.”

How many singles is that worth?

9. Dick Whitman

You are one of my guys here, but I've never understood how that became a running joke here.

Posnanski wrote about it, and, although I've been accused of championing certain pubs and writers, I've never been accused of drinking the Posnanski Kool-Aid. Quite the opposite.

The methodology was really simple, and helpful if you were constructing a baseball team. Essentially, over the course of baseball history, a walk, because runners can't score on them or advance an extra base, was shown to only lead to about 70 percent the amount of runs that singles do, given each result in the same situation.

All of the anti-SABR guys like Dooley pounced on it, even though it was a sabermetric finding that, for once, supported their intuition that walks suck.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Two reasons:

Because some of the biggest spectacles here are the sabermetrics vs. "see it with my own eyes" folks.

Also, because it was on a thread debating the Hall-worthiness of John Effing Olerud.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The ACT would be a much better test for this study.

To use the SAT is incredibly lazy and stupid.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Biggest spectacle I've seen here was an argument over charcoal vs. gas grilling. Other than stoob's backdoor neighbor, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted