1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education Funding, why so low? Educational Crisis in US

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Who defines what’s good? Who defines what the right thing is? If no one is ever allowed to judge anyone or anything because we’re all little units of personal identity, than what’s good? What’s right?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I never said no one is ever allowed to judge anyone or anything. Just saying don't give a shit about seeing celebrities who are successful. Maybe some people see that and
    think it's a good idea to imitate, but some people don't.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Who was making these determinations in the past? How were they made?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What I’m saying is: People don’t know the difference between good and bad. Even the most execrable celebrity has a team of people committed to telling you how great they are. And any decent every day person has no one to do the same and, what’s more, no particular rubric to follow to be good.

So when you say “raising a great kid is a reward in itself” my retort back is: Well, what does America say is great? What gets recognized? My sense is the argument is so relative, so specific from person to person, that the only defining traits to collective goodness are things that have no relationship whatsoever to goodness: Coolness. Notoriety. Showmanship.

And in an increasingly stratified society, what point is there to a poor person achieving anything unless it’s something notorious? It’s a
    calculation of despair but a calculation nonetheless: Parents give up because they see their children in a long race, so far behind that making the effort - and falling short - is worse than making the effort at all.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I am only drawing from my personal experience but what I see when I see my parents (now in 80s) is a tremendous sense of satisfaction when they see my sister and I with our families. My parents sacrificed tremendously when we were younger and though they have their hard earned pensions and can afford to go on cruises and buy most whatever they wanted (within reason); more than anything they love seeing us and knowing they "did okay" (as my mom likes to say).

Sure I enjoy life in many respects but looking at my kids and just getting to kiss them and say "I love you" and have them say it back, there's no substitute for it, not a Ferrari, not a huge mansion, not likes on Facebook.

Liut likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Both fair questions.

It depends on the context- where and when in the world. Lenin, Pinochet and others have all had their ideas. Cult leaders have too. In a sense, it’s the defining conversation of mankind.

But at this point the conversation is mostly just noise. I can unpack and really critique communism. There isn’t anything I can do for very long with Kim Kardashian, Beyoncé or Tom Brady’s TB12 method.

7. cjericho

Pretty sure America says it's great when the celebrity has a lot of wealth and fame. Also think America doesn't say it's great if the celebrity is breaking the law and/or becoming addicted and/or overdosing on drugs. No I can't say everyone agrees with that. If you say the celebrity lifestyle leads to bad things I don't care enough about celebrities to have a strong opinion. As far as raising a good kid I'll start with one who becomes self-sufficient and a law-abiding citizen.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't need America to tell me whether or not I'm raising a great kid. That is where the parent's values come into play. I certainly don't need anybody else's recognition to motivate me. My goal is to raise my child the best I can and give her the opportunity to live a happy and successful life. I don't need a rubric for that.

I don't care how bad a parent's situation might become. There is no excuse for giving up on helping your child. None.

qtlaw and cjericho like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You have 10 percent of US kids in private K-12, another 3 or 4 percent homeschooled, How many legislators still have school age kids? How many members of school boards?

10. cjericho

Would think most have school age grandkids. Most of the towns I'm familiar with usually the
    majority of those on the board of ed have kids in school. Would think this varies state to state. NJ is a state a lot of people leave when they retire.

11. You know when you know you were a decent parent?
    If your kids raised their kids well.

I don't dispute the science.
    It's the funding source i have issues with.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What if they’re not happy? Or a success? Who defines those two things?

And of course you live by some rubric. Everyone does. Success and happiness, after all, are goals for some reason. It comes from somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted