1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Educating yourself is now politcally incorrect

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.nuvo.net/articles/21st_century_catch22/

Note that the janitor was not reading a Klan pamphlet or manifesto. It was a book detailing how people fought back against the Klan. And the twit who filed the complaint didn't even want to hear anything about the book. She saw KKK and assumed the guy was a racist.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was a poorly written story. And I don't blame his co-workers for not wanting to be exposed to a book glorifying Notre Dame.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Interesting, but where's the follow up. It says the guy received another letter post-marked Feb. 21. How long does it take to post a follow-up?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's a weekly rag.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ah, my bad.
    Interesting, though. If you see an update down the road, link it.
    The guy should contact the ACLU.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What are the chances that the ACLU would sooner go to court for the Klan than for the guy reading the book about some people who fought the Klan?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, one case would certainly be a lot higher profile than the other, and that's a real consideration when choosing which battles to fight.
    If I were the guy in the story, though, I wouldn't really want to sue. I'd want legal representation that could sit down with my employer, get any reference stricken from my personnel file and force the employer to adjust the way it reviews such cases.
    That would be a genuine way to pursue it with a possible real result.
    Of course, I'm probably being more than a little Pollyanna about it, but I think that's what I would want in his situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted