1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edouard builds ... oil market yawns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The news that oil dropped below $120 is even more refreshing than the badly-needed showers this Category Zero behemoth will give south-central Texas.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a.w82nhKaz6I&refer=home

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't worry, gas will jump to $5.00 by Labor Day "due to unexpected hurricane action in the Gulf of Mexico."

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, no, no.

A fly will fart in Iran, though, and lead to worries of the impending nuclear holocaust. So everyone will buy futures, even though there may be no future to worry about. Because when the world ends, we'll figure out who gets into heaven and who doesn't by who has the most futures.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm screwed...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We have a sliding mileage scale in our shop, and once I got 40 cents-per-mile, I ain't goin' back. So I took matters into my own hands.

I just drove down to Galveston, whipped out a hand cannon, and emptied a clip into the Gulf Of Mexico. I figured I had a million-to-one shot to hit a tanker, but before I went, I called an oil speculator.

Get ready for $6 a gallon! Sixty cents per mile! Yeah for me!

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Have some fucking compassion people. This storm could actually affect the lives of actual people and their property. Not just the freaking price of oil.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Best-case scenario would be for it to not do much damage to the coastal areas, but bring some desperately-needed rain to some of the inland areas in East Texas, North Louisiana, and Southern Arkansas.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Easy, tonto. We're just talking here.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This also isn't exactly a Katrina-esque storm. The winds from this thing are currently between 74-95 mph. It's only a tropical storm. They'll get a little wind, a lot of much-needed rain (which hopefully will go up into the Panhandle, because, as I hear from my father every single day, they need it there), a few tornadoes and go back to their every day lives.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, the winds aren't that high, and the range you described defines a Category 1 hurricane.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like it's going to make landfall farther up the coast than predicted yesterday.

Double good news: That means it probably won't make it to hurricane status, and also, the track has it going farther north into Texas to break the 11-day streak of 100-degree days.

[​IMG]

Also .. oil was down another $2 in Asia overnight.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted