1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edmonton

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matamoros Blues, Jul 26, 2006.

1. They appear to be working on running water, according to Flash.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Alright, here are some ideas

Alberta provincial museum - downtown Edmonton - has a lot of cool displays, everything from dinosaurs to art to different themes. Easily blow an afternoon there. Also very affoardable.
    Edmonton Space and Science Centre- now called the Odysseum (sp?) on 111 st - lot of cool science stuff. also different space displays and an IMAX theatre. Lot of cool hands on stuff.
    Horlac Park - off of Groat road - big spacious park, great place to sit back and relax and have a picnic or just run around and explore. Also has a man-made lake and I think you can rent paddle boats or something.
    Reynolds Museum - in Wetaskiwin - south of Edmonton by about 20 or 30 minutes. Old car and plane museum. lot od cool stuff.
    http://www.machinemuseum.net/
    Audrey's bookstore - Whenever I go travelling with my dad he always has to check out the big bookstores, if they're looking for one, this is probably one of the best in the city. 10702 Jasper Avenue
    Shopping Malls: West Edmonton Mall is obvious, Kingsway Mall is probably next best and biggest, South Edmonton Common is a big Box Store development on the far south side of Edmonton, also has a huge movie theatre and the biggest Ikea in Alberta.

I'll get more to you in a bit have to run to an interview.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

It's a helicopter landing pad and a couple of goat trails.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is the home team still on fire?
    Do they still win all their games?

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

But won't it be skating weather by the time this vacation starts?

6. The child plays hockey, so that'll work.

(New to the quote function Go easy if it doesn't work)

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Assman still play for the Eskimos?

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't think so, but they have a MLB named A.J. Gass.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Beef, you mean Hawrelak Park? named after the mayor when I lived in town. Bill Hawrelak was mayor three separate times. The first time he had to quit mid term because of a real estate scandal .He was re-elected to term two but was removed by the Supreme Court because of another real estate scandal. Still, he was elected to a third term but died in office of a heart attack.

I digress, the park is often home to numerous festivals and outdoor concerts.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Just thought of another place to visit - Fort Edmonton. It's you're typical reinactment type place down in the river valley. I was there for a wedding a couplee years ago and it looks pretty neat.

Are they looking at hotels for a couple of nights? are they wanting 5 stars or just some place where they don't have to worry about bugs walking out with their luggage?

Interms of eating, there are a lot of good places down Whyte Ave., most of them turn into bars at night, but I believe can serve minors until like 8 p.m., also some decent restraunts in downtown Edmonton, like the Spaghetti Factory. Just north of West Edmonton Mall on 170th street there is a virtual district of restraunts, I believe I heard a stat somewhere that said there are more restraunt seats per capita in this one area than anywhere else in North America. Tons of choices, a lot of major chains, everything from chinese, to Italian, to steak houses and everything in between. And of course there are a lot of places to eat at West Edmonton Mall.

The International Fringe Theatre Festival is also going on from Aug. 17 to Aug. 27, and that will be taking place at various theatres throughout the city.

Here's a site that has a list of the many different things going on in the area, much of which is happening during August.
    http://www1.travelalberta.com/search/resultsK2.cfm

That's all I got off the top of my head.  If you need more help, let me know

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

12. Thanks for the tips. Especially Beef. You've been more than kind. I guess sometimes you can rely on the kindness of strangers.

I am still left wondering about the hatred for Jones / Centre of the Canadian Universe, and the plight of dual citizens, but I sincerely thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted