1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edmonds: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BartonK, May 12, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Edmonds typically came out in the middle of the pack using Bill James' range factor stat but I've always considered him above average. His high number of acrobatic catches demonstrate his willingness (smart or not) to give up his body.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

His point was -- and I don't remember if the martinis were dirty or shaken or what -- that an All-Star centerfielder would have made the catches standing up.
    I do remember that the martinis were about $15 each and they ended up on my expense report.

3. Edmonds has made over $83 million in his career. Why would he want to submit himself to the possible humiliation of any additional failure?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You need to say that with a German accent.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

As a voter, I feel compelled to tell you Edmonds will NOT get my vote.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Wasn't Edmonds despised by his teammates on the Angels for his propensity to make routine catches look difficult?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Baseball players subject themselves to failure pretty much by definition. Beating failure is what they live for. That and the women.

At least one prominent player from the late '90s teams grew pretty tired of Edmonds. But I always thought it was more of a personality clash than specifically about the acrobatic catches. Jim is kind of flashy and never minded being in the spotlight, so the catches gave detractors an opportunity to roll their eyes.

That's what I like about you, Casty. Always willing to go out on the limb.

8. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Since I started this thread, thought I'd give my two cents: I think the guy has a shot at 5 or 6 percent on the ballot, maybe hanging on for two or three years, a la Harold Baines. It took 28 votes this year to stay on the ballot for next year, out of 543. He's got the Gold Gloves, the All-Star selections, the MVP votes, etc., and as far as we know, he was clean. Five years from now, people will still remember some of those catches and mark him down, knowing he won't get in.

For the record, I'd put Edmonds and Baines roughly in the same class, when offense and defense are taken into consideration. Also for the record, I'm no fanboy; never been to a Cardinals home game in my life, and not a fan of the Angels, either.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cubs-Edmonds deal is all but official, pending physical:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080514&content_id=2699667&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

10. chester

chester Member

I thought it was Griffey who ripped Edmonds for doing that.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I can say that Edmonds will NOT ever be in my kitchen.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Cubs GM Jim Hendry just made it official: Edmonds is a Cub.

Draft saved Draft deleted