1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edmonds: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BartonK, May 12, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Asking whether he'll make the Hall may be ridiculous, but I don't think it's completely ridiculous to wonder if he'll get the five percent to stay on the ballot.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry if i offended. i don't believe fanbois of any kind deserve to be coddled over stoooopid inquiries. gold gloves mean something if you're a shortstop, perhaps. centerfielders? um, not so much. ::) ::) ::)

outfielders better bring exceptional offensive numbers to the table. absolutely nothing about edmonds' numbers are close to exceptional.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm a big Jim Deshaies fan. What about it?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Although eight-consecutive Gold Gloves is nice, his offensive numbers aren't there.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

puh-leeze! unless 5 percent of the voters are based in st. loo, it's a ridiculous question. besides, who the eff gives a crap about hitting the percent mark? i don't believe anyone who started at 5 percent eventually made the hall.

again, i'm embarrassed to be posting on this topic for a third time. i need to get a life. what a bitter old hack i've become. :-[ :-[ :-[

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

No, but what team will take a chance on him right now? Toronto?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with spnited.

DID I ACTUALLY WRITE THAT?! :eek:

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

'bout time you came around to a right way of thinking!

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He'd be a shoo in for the Hall of Above Average. He might get a Veterans Committee nod for the Hall of Very Good. But no HOF for Jim Edmonds. Injuries just took too much of his better days IMO.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a real good guess.

Of course the irony is the Jays got rid of a guy two years older who had a lot more left in the tank (Thomas).

11. joe

joe Active Member

If Edmonds could have laid off the pitch in his eyes, or the one in the dirt, or the one way the hell outside, or the one way the hell inside, he might have hit 100 more home runs. And probably still wouldn't be anywhere near hall of fame consideration.

He had some spectacular moments during his years in St. Louis, but he also had some spectacular failures, too. A really good -- and at times verging on great -- but not transcendent player.

And as a Cardinals fan, he left town one year too late.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

To me, Edmonds belongs in the Hall of Cash a Paycheck.

Draft saved Draft deleted