1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MindlessBayless, Feb 1, 2007.

1. MindlessBayless

MindlessBayless New Member

To the editors out there... how often would you say you work with your writers to help develop ideas and strengthen content? Do you consider this part of your job or something that the writer should worry about in his or her own time?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Could be wrong, but I'm guessing most editors would say "often." I'd be curious how their reporters would respond to the same question.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Often. That's one of the most important aspects of my job.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Other than organizational matters, IT IS MY JOB.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

To be honest, I don't have as much opportunity to do that as I wish I did.

6. I try to do it as often as I can. Sometimes I'm not sure the advice is welcome, but ...

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

From the reporter perspective, I haven't had one editor, at any level of the food chain, try and work with me or my coworkers in the 3 1/2 years I've been in the busines. Best editors I've had were the ones I had at my college paper. They actually cared about helping me get better.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Shot, I'm with you. It's hard. Really hard sometimes.
    But, if I see a hole, I send the story back to the reporter and explain the hole.
    It is not always welcome. But, tough shit.
    In the end, when the story is printed, 99% of the time they're appreciative of the time I took to improve their story. I'm reading the stories anyhow, might as well give the reporter/columnist feedback.
    It's pretty much the gig.

9. MindlessBayless

Thanks for confirming my assumptions. The publication I currently write for has been impossible to work with and I do not feel they are helping me get any better. Though the publication is very well-known, (and believe me, that's tough to forget) I feel it might be more important at this juncture to go somewhere else where I can further develop my skills. If, in fact, I do plan on moving up the ladder, this seems like it'd be a logical move, no?

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Keep growing or start dying, Mindless. But before you jump ship, know that the grass isn't really always greener. You've got to make your own opportunities, too.
    I could keep spewing cliches all night.

11. MindlessBayless

Understood, STL. I just wanted to see if it was commonplace for your editors to never write back to you or give you a call. I'm trying to be patient here, because it's not like I take myself so seriously that I need immediate attention, but it's gotten to the point of being very frustrating.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Are you a freelancer? If so, I had a similar experience, and it sucks, but there's little you can do. Start looking for a better rabbi.
    If you're on staff, though, your editors really should be talking with you about stories on a regular basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted