1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editors: What organizer do you use? Electronic? Old-fashioned? Nothing? A mix?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A long time ago, I became a fan of DayRunner. As I became a bit more wired and wireless, I no longer used mine. At one point, I had more electronic organizers than I could maintain. Simplicity seduced me and won me over.

Now, as an editor, I think I need to look at the array of organizational tools out there. What do you use for planning sections in advance, work schedules, vacation time, meetings, and so forth? An actual paper version? Something on your computer? On your smart phone? A combination?

I'd be interested to hear what works for people, especially with specifics. I studied the Calendar options in my BlackBerry and came away unimpressed. I use the Memo function much more often, but I'm not sure that suits my new gig.

I know this isn't purely a journalism topic, but I thought it belonged here. Moderators, feel free to move it if you must.

Thanks,

JD

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I still use paper for most of it. A simple yearly planner works just fine for me.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A wall calendar works well for me. List the MAJOR events for the teams we cover. Also have an electronic daily schedule that lists ALL the events. Great to make sure we don't overlook anything. (OH, darn, I forgot to enter the local home school volleyball team's matches against the public school freshman team.)

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I've gone from paper calendar five years ago to iCal and now Google Calendar. My budget has always been electronic, residing as a document in our NewsEdit system. Google has been great since multiple users can update and add events and is accessible from any device with an Internet connection.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I use paper and pen. It sits on my desk. I also have a calendar in outlook that is filled with shit. It works for me.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've got a BlackBerry hooked to a corporate Gmail account, and basically, my entire professional life is on there now...

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I'm still looking for a solution that fits me. In the past I used Dayrunner, maybe I need to go back to it. I had a PDA years ago but didn't use it consistently.
    When I remember, I put appointments on one or more of the following: Outlook calendar, white board, scrap pieces of paper or in a Word document if it's a story idea. Depending on what it is, I might tell me wife so she can remind me.
    I should be using my wall calendar more and/or get a desk calendar.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Re: Editors: What organizer do you use? Electronic? Old-fashioned? Nothing? A mi

A good-old desk calendar and the calendar feature on my android phone works well for me. The phone will bug the hell out of me until I acknowledge that yes, I know I have an appointment with Coach So-and-So.

Draft saved Draft deleted