1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editorializing in photos: Bachmann edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Aug 13, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dancing, hats, and ethnic garb.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Same with fumbling a football, which many believe cost Robert Stanfield a chance to be Prime Minister of Canada.

[​IMG]

I know the guy who took this picture, which won him a National Newspaper Award. He said Stanfield never held it against him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. YankeeFan

I'll never understand John Kerry's campaign. The guy should have won.

He either had the worst advisers, or he chose not to listen to them.

He kept trying to portray himself as a vigorous, athletic guy. But, I don't think anyone was looking for that out of him.

And then, he chose athletic activities like biking -- where you have to dress funny -- and windsurfing, which makes you look like an idiot. And, you need wind, so if you schedule a photo op, you can get screwed by the weather.

And, he kept insisting on throwing a football around on the tarmac, when he was clearly not comfortable doing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I swear, if these guys want to play sports and talk sports, they ought to go to some kind of boot camp first. Otherwise, they look like idiots.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really? Holding the wrong end of a hockey stick I get, but dropping a football?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Mongol Hordes. Ivan the Terrible. Spanish Inquisition. Vlad the Impaler. Lots of bad guys throughout history are fodder for jokes and exaggerated comparisons.

8. YankeeFan

I'm not sure what you think you're arguing with me about.

I said he should have won.

They didn't need to try to portray him as a jock. He was uncomfortable in the role, and it hurt him instead of helping him.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An elitist, pretending he wasn't.

JFK got away with it. Of course, the stiff he was running against, helped.

JK didn't.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it was during the 2000 election when someone asked W. what his biggest mistake was. He said, "Well, I traded Sammy Sosa..."

Brilliant answer. It's funny. It's self-deprecating. It's true and people can relate to it, and it lets him off the hook for having to give a real response.

I'm not trying to claim that a knowledge of sports and being able to throw a strike from the mound when you're tossing out the first pitch at the game SHOULD make a difference, but it does. I don't agree with this, but the public can't relate to a candidate on some level, they're going to be difficult to elect. That was Gore's problem. That was Kerry's problem and it's the biggest reason they lost elections that they should have won. And for all of W's problems and issues, people liked him and that's why he won (at least by electoral vote...).

I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm just saying that's the way it seems to be.

11. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

He was President by this point, but I don't get this picture either.

How does this look natural?

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Too bad he wasn't prescient enough to claim they were the beta version of surf shoes. An anachronism twofer!

Draft saved Draft deleted