1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editorial Decision: Omit #40's Name from the Story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by snuffy2, Mar 10, 2011.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

If the kid committing the foul was a well-known, recruited player, not only would he be named, it would be a huge story. So I don't see how you don't run his name here, either.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't get the point of not naming him but still identifying him. That's the silliest option of all.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because the Rivals story was written just to get people to watch the video.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yes. If you're going to call it a cheap shot -- which it was -- you have to name the kid.

If you want to write that So-and-so was knocked unconscious and suffered temporary paralysis after taking a hard fall, and leave it at that, fine. Leave out the name.

If you're going to run the video alongside the story, I don't see the point in leaving the name out.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They got numbers on their uniforms for a reason: Identifications! Even the referee agreed that it was intentional (no, he didn't say it, but he signaled it). Yes, it may be argued by some that it's high school athletics, but in this case, it doesn't matter.

6. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Ok, here is my opinion. On surface, I see reasons on both sides. The player's name matters as important context in the story ie does #40 have a history of intentional/flaqrant fouls ? I am also fine with omitting a juvenile's name as editorial policy. Beyond policy, I would probably have omitted 40's name in this particular case because I think the severe consequences of this intentional foul were accidental and do not merit futher punishment or anger focused on a juvenile or his family. Obviously it was a nasty foul but the medical injuries resulted from airborn physics. Outside of the name issue, #40 shoves Etherington on the way up in the dunk (that makes a difference regarding intent). Etherington has a breakaway choice, a two handed full speed slam or an easy layup. Maybe #40, playing in front of a packed home crowd, didn't like the slam option and reacted badly in a regrettable instant. The story is not sports news; it is about a player suffering a serious medical sports injury. The author of the story assumed editorial opinion by associating the foul to the medical consequences with the phrase 'cheap shot' in the lead. Was it a cheap shot? Was it a hot dog dunk by Etherington? Would Etherington have lost his balance without being pushed from behind? Regarding the foul, how flagrant was it? The foul was committed before the dunk but yet it didn't interfere with Etherington enough to prevent the dunk. Etherington lost his balance after the dunk. Emotions run high with serious medical injuries especially when mixed with phrases like 'Cheap Shot'. #40 is a juvenile under the supervision of his family and his school. Do I associate his and his families name with this story which associates (in my opinion unfairly) his foul with the medical injuries? These are the factors I consider as editor and as editor I make the correct call and omit the kid's name.
    I hope Etherington makes a full recovery and everybody heals from this unfortunate play.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

not even an issue that should cause the slightest hesitation. of course you run his name.

sheesh. this isn't close to the issue of the much-discussed softball pitcher whose toddler was fathered by her uncle. no matter which side you fell on in that matter, i believe everyone agreed such a tawdry personal matter merited debate.

this? no hesitation at all. only way to keep no. 40's name out of it is to ignore the gamer altogether, which ain't an option, either.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've run names for less.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Uh, snuffy, it would be hard to cover high school sports if your publication has an editorial policy of not using the names of juveniles.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good to see you made the "correct" call, Snuffy. Guess we're all just stupid. But at least you've protected the kid and his family because there is no possible way for anyone to find out his name, which was printed in the local paper in the game story.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyway, the correcter call in this case is not to write a stupid story calling it a cheap shot.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And God forbid someone Google up the team's web site with a roster, or find the team's page on Maxpreps.

Draft saved Draft deleted