1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editor positions, The New York Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Timothy Sullivan, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Define "doing it right."

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, to quote from the job posting, "design savvy." To me that indicates more than the minimum knowledge of building a page -- some degree of creativity, some demonstrated artistic talent, experience to the extent that you've already made mistakes and learned from them.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've made mistakes and learned from them.

Just not on InDesign.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

IMO, InDesign is better than Quark.

5. Songbird

Can't say much about it because I haven't used InDesign. But I love Quark. The transition from Q to InD isn't difficult, I've been told.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's not, but it does take some time. It's all about learning where everything is.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I have varying experience with InDesign, Quark, Pagemaker, and Harris Newsmaker. Of them all, InDesign is the most straight-forward. Harris is just evil, and Quark is just average. Also very similar to InDesign. Then, Pagemaker is OK if you want to design a nice postcard, but for newspapers it's retarded.

8. Songbird

jake, try Alfa for a few days and then get back to me on Harris.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm going to ask a really, really dumb question - I have written for 30 years but never done anything more than proofread.

What is the difference between layout and design? And how does one learn such things? Is it necessary to have an artist's eye? I will read just about anything, so it never makes that much difference to me.

10. Songbird

layout and design are the same thing.

There are books to learn, but I've always found it easier to learn by doing with someone who knows sitting right next to you to explain.

And does it take an artist's eye? Not necessarily.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Agree to disagree. I could teach someone in two days or less how to competently lay out an inside page. Teaching someone to design an adequate front page is something else entirely.

12. Songbird

You're right, Dickens. That might be the part where an artist's eye comes into play.

Draft saved Draft deleted